British Airways reward availability

Back to Forum
Viewing 6 posts - 16 through 21 (of 21 total)

• Ricardo
    Participant

RichHI1 – I don’t have any particular preference for BA. I do find that BA has a slight edge on AA for transatlantic travel in Business and First. Maybe I have just been unlucky with US domestic flights in that they were nothing special. I was disappointed with their First offering. I would have been extremely disappointed if I had paid for AA First LAX to HNL (It was part of a Reward flight booking hence joining this thread). Strangely I find AA’s Economy is better than most, especially on transatlantic (Although I object paying $6 for a can of beer or qtr bottle of cheap wine!!!). I agree completely regarding your immigration comments. I look forward to getting/trying one of AA’s new planes!

Cheers, R.

RichHI1
    Participant

Ricardo I think you were unfortunate in your routing. Flights to Hawaii are primarily mileage bookings or deep discounts with upgrades. As a consequence they do not make money and tend to get old planes with lower standards of service. Hawaiian does have new Airbuses but even they have minimal spacing in First. The best service to Honolulu are the AA services from ORD and DFW which use 763’s configured for international service so they have the angled sleeper business class seats sold as first. Whilst many prefer the flat CW seats on BA for tall passengers such as myself they are a way to sleep whereas the CW seats are not. The other top notch offering to Honolulu is the 764 service from EWR run by CO which is now UA. These offer a good level of service and a Premium cabin with sleeper seats (remember this is about the same length of flight as LHR-LAX)..
    I am surprised that you did not find the crews on AA friendly as normally British people find them over familiar. Maybe you will find them happier if you fly again with them some time.
    Don’t norally do coach but I know UK and European carriers tend to offer free booze in coach and US carriers tend not to.
    Interested why BoardTurnLeft is going to Seattle. Went there for dinner once from LA and it was like Manchester with more trees. It drizzeld solidly for the 5 hours I was there.
    Happy trails

BoardTurnLeft
    Participant

Ricardo,
    As my TXL – SEA journey is Oneworld Alliance award travel, I would use AA for the ORD – SEA segment. That said, last month I flew AA First SEA – JFK and return. Both flights originally cited the old 757 aircraft; however, they were replaced by the new AA 738. FA crews were cheerful and provided excellent service on both trips; addressing most FC passengers by name and individually thanking them for flying AA. Note: While the old 757 seats indeed had a dated ‘retro’ appearance, IMO they offered more comfort that the new 738 hardware.
    Regards.

RichHI1
    Participant

I fear that a lot of the new seats being introduced by all carriers including BA and AA are driven more by airline cost, weight and how to squeeze more seats in rather than adding to passenger comfort. Though I do find AA better than most on matters such as lge room which is probably the ultimate factor for me.

VintageKrug
    Participant

Reduced weight is certainly a driver; but that moves into reduced fuel burn and mitigates against an inexorably rising fuel cost.

I’d also say that passenger comfort is at the forefront of thinking; spacesaver seats create more legroom by reducing the thickness of the seat, while new more supporting foams maintain support.

There is a slew of additional technological improvements, from USB docks to larger IFE screens, and smaller changes such as placing the seatback pocket higher up, increasing knee space in economy.

Even if new seats only reduce weight, there’s still considerable (if hidden) benefit to the traveller in the long term.

RichHI1
    Participant

All the above is true, my point is that modern seating is driven by a mixed airline agenda not uniquely improving passenger comfort, as per BTL’s reaction to he thinner 738 seats. (I would have to remove First Long Haul products from this as the Suites and mixed mode of say Lufthansa are clearly about wooing pax rather than cost accountants).

Viewing 6 posts - 16 through 21 (of 21 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls