British Airways holiday prices are cheaper than flight-only

Back to Forum
Viewing 13 posts - 16 through 28 (of 28 total)

• conshaldow
    Participant

If you are ever looking for flights I would recommend always having a look at BA Holidays. The hotels are usually of a decent quality (if not anything special) and as mentioned above the costing is usually cheaper than the flight only, especially when travelling in groups of 3+.

I’ve used BA holidays on trips to Spain, Italy and Norway and only ever had good experiences with flights and accommodation.

openfly
    Participant

It’s all very well getting a cheaper deal with BA Holidayx, but most of their inclusive Flt/Hotel deals are accom only…no breakfast. Check the same deal on Expedia or Travelrepublic etc and breakfast or half board are usually included for the same BA price or lower.

Tom Otley
    Keymaster

I found that the when you choose the hotel then you are given further options to add breakfast (for an additional price).

DerekVH
    Participant

As Tom has highlighted, following recent software changes, BA Holidays ignore the fact they have direct flights and present you with a load of options involving changes which is frustrating. However, another major benefit of booking through BA Holidays is that you do not need to pay the full cost up front, you pay a small deposit with the balance being paid 4/6 weeks before actual date of travel. If buying premium tickets for a group this can be extremely beneficial. You also earn BA Holiday AVIOS on top of the flight AVIOS.

AMcWhirter
    Participant

travelworld2 – Apologies for the confusion. But from my early days at BT I can recall these long-haul packages which, again, offered savings on the IATA fares.

Alsacienne
    Participant

Having read this thread I decided to try it out for myself. I know the flights exist between LHR and NBO, and Google has also shown me that BA have hotels in NBO.

Tried to book using the Holidays part of the website … but it wouldn’t accept anything as a 3 letter code for the city where the accommodation was required. (I tried NBO repeatedly … hope there’s no secret code I don’t (yet) know!)

And yes, no go. Timed out or simply locked out.

TiredOldHack2
    Participant

I’ve generally used BA holidays for, well, holidays, but yes, they are good value. As long as the hotel doesn’t charge you twice, of course…

Tom Otley
    Keymaster

[quote quote=879143]Having read this thread I decided to try it out for myself. I know the flights exist between LHR and NBO, and Google has also shown me that BA have hotels in NBO.

Tried to book using the Holidays part of the website … but it wouldn’t accept anything as a 3 letter code for the city where the accommodation was required. (I tried NBO repeatedly … hope there’s no secret code I don’t (yet) know!)

And yes, no go. Timed out or simply locked out.[/quote]

Yes, you’re right, it doesn’t work on that route. I jut tried it myself.

capetonianm
    Participant

I know they don’t fly longhaul so this is not an entirely valid comparison, but easyJet holidays are very good value. I booked one a couple of years to Cyprus. You select a package, once you’ve put your dates and airports in, and it gives you the lowest price, but you can then build by selecting from a range of hotels and you can select flights (albeit at a supplement) at better times.

I was very pleased with the value of deal I got, about £200 less than booking it independently, the hotel was very satisfactory, and I am fussy. I know people knock EZY and say it’s for the bucket and spade and stage/hen party brigades, but such people use all airlines.

openfly
    Participant

@capetonianm….do EasyJet Holidays allow a suitcase or is it an extra payment?

capetonianm
    Participant

I don’t remember, I would assume that they charge extra for checked baggage, I don’t remember if I took any but on balance of probability I would have done.

Nogbad01
    Participant

I have used BA holidays a few times (once accidentally due to adding a hire car to my BA booking).

I find the back room staff in the “holidays” team, seem to be able to still make decisions and are not just reading from a script. Very helpful, and when one leg was cancelled, they couldn’t have been more helpful in getting me where I needed to be (including booking me on a KLM flight to a different city which was actually closer to my meeting).

Prices can be surprisingly cheap compared with flight only. Got MAN-LHR, LGW-GOA return for £ 180 ish in club recently.

The only slight downside is all the paperwork and emails talk about ones “holiday”, which I wonder might cause the tax man to think I am spending the company money on sightseeing!

1 user thanked author for this post.

jjlasne
    Participant

This has been the case for quite a while, at least in the USA. Book air + minimum car for a lower rate than air only and don’ t use the car voucher. Same with land.

Viewing 13 posts - 16 through 28 (of 28 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls