British Airways has begun storing some A380s at Madrid

Back to Forum
Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

• AMcWhirter
    Participant

Until recently BA was storing its A380 fleet in Central France.

But over the past few days a few of these A380s have been flown to Madrid for storage.

It is unclear for how long they will remain at Barajas.

transtraxman
    Participant

I do not know the reason for the transfer of these aircraft to Madrid. I presume it is because the climate is more benign than in more northerly latitudes, though the temperature can and does frequently fall below zero in Madrid in winter.

AMcWhirter
    Participant

I was told by an aviation fan that it could be down to ease of maintenance.

This can be more easily done at Madrid.

Here’s what I was told, “Sad to know that this is because storage [for BA’s A380s] is now considered to be a long term event and MAD is better positioned to provide the required care package given it’s an online station.

“The previous storage [in Central France] could only be served by flying in BA engineering staff on A319s.”

If readers know further then feel free to comment further.

alainboy56
    Participant

I am also aware that maybe 10 or more A320s have been flown to Palma di Majorca in the last few days for storage.

It maybe that Iberia, being part of IAG, is helping out a fellow member, although as IAG is 20%+ owned by QR, I would question, why not fly aircraft to Doha?

There is plenty of room there especially in the old DOH airport and maintenance/storage would be infinitely cheaper, with also a kinder climate, at least for the next 6 months.

AMcWhirter
    Participant

BA has now flown its fourth A380 to Spain for storage.

But this time it will be Teruel rather than Madrid.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls