British Airways Executive Club Gold

Back to Forum
Viewing 6 posts - 46 through 51 (of 51 total)

• Swissdiver
    Participant

Morning Flying Canadian,

I hate Miles & More also because the program is stingy… although you do get the 2 years thing. Nevertheless the only thing I am after with them being based in Switzerland (Swiss belongs to Lufty) is lounge access. I do have it thanks to Aegean…

wishbone
    Participant

Good Morning Gold Flyer, when I was Silver I tried to take two non Silver members into the T5 Lounge, with no success. What I then did was to take one of them into the South Lounge and leave them there and then take the other one into the North Lounge. This meant we were in different lounges but all three of us did get to use a lounge of some description.

As fo Canadian Flyers question as to whether it is possible to attain Gold just flying Economy. Nearly all my travel is Econmony (within Europe) and find Silver very easy to maintain. Economy flights within Europe generally award 10 Tier Points / Flight, this means 150 short haul economy flights will give you the 1500 points required for Gold.

I got Gold this year by doing my regular 80’ish short haul flights in economy (800 Tier Points) plus two long hauls at Premium Economy (400 Tier Points) and using low cost business flights to my regular destination of Amsterdam. When booking I book two trips, the first booking is LHR to AMS for my first trip with the return AMS to LHR for my second trip, then I make another booking AMS to LHR for my first trip together with LHR to AMS for my second trip. This gives me the all important Saturday night between outward and inward and can generally get a reasonable business ticket (within my travel budget anyway)

flyingcanadian
    Participant

Good Morning again SD,

Surely if you are *A Gold you have access to ALL *A LOUNGES? I know that the LH group is huge:
    LH, LX, OS, SN, and even SAS want LH to buy them as SAS is cash poor and wants to be bought out. But now with AEGEAN you have another option, and once GOLD you should be able to keep it for several years. 20,000 miles is an easy target. AC’s was 35,000, then 50,000, so you can see why some PAX are not happy.
    I do in excess of 100,000 year as I cross 2 Oceans on all my travels, and they have raised J/C class to 150%, (like Miles & More), so the miles come quicker.
    Anyway SD, Enjoy your flights and Many Happy years with Aegean.

flyingcanadian
    Participant

Congratulations Wishbone,

You have sussed out the most economical way to reach GOLD Level in BAEC, without spending money on J/C fares.
    Perhaps if you do your research, you may be able to travel J/C during BA’s “SALES PERIODS”, which I believe are twice a year!
    BA are getting your business and Loyalty, but Ithink perhaps they secretly wish you paid J/C sometimes to get your Tier Points.
    That is where the “Black Platinum” card comes in. Those who reach the Top Tier flying Y, and those who reach it flying J/C.!!

TiredOldHack
    Participant

flyingcanadian – I managed it simply by three carefully chosen long-haul flights in CW, with heavily discounted fares (Argentina, China, Chile) plus a handful of short-hauls in WT.

The Chinese flight was particularly good – Finnair to Xi’an via Helsinki, for £1500-odd return.

LuganoPirate
    Participant

I think the Black card thing has been answered by those better qualified than me FlyingCanadian. As to why WW has one, because he can! He’ll often fly in the jump seat as he is a qualified pilot. When he went to Airbus to negotiate the 380 order he took one for a spin – so to speak – and flew it himself.

Yes, Gold is hard to get with *A if you fly in Europe on the cheapest Y fares. But if you fly long haul Y it is possible.

Viewing 6 posts - 46 through 51 (of 51 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls