British Airways Executive Club Gold

Back to Forum
Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 51 total)

• cityprofessional
    Participant

@seasonedtraveller I’m surprised you were never upgraded by bmi. I was Gold for 9 years, and probably was upgraded every 6-7 flights. In the days of paper upgrade vouchers, I also got upgraded a few times without needing to surrender the voucher

I think there’s been another thread on this, but for me the big BA Gold benefits are recognition (on board, at check in, etc) and advanced seat selection of prime seats (front row in all classes/row 64 etc). Only 1 upgrade so far – and that was on board by a friendly purser. The LHR FLounges are a *bit* nicer (and the LGW one noticeably quieter) – better still are the First lounges you’ll get access to in e.g. HKG and SYD, if your travels take you to those cities

Agamemnon
    Participant

@wishbone When I moved up to Gold a few years ago (after a long stretch as silver), I thought there would be a noticeable jump, but no.

As the other posters here have mooted, there’s a definitely step up in terms of service both over the phone and on board, but otherwise I got more upgrades when silver than I ever have being gold and those were only when the flight was full and I’d asked the all-knowing “Is the flight busy today?” question.

There is extra availability (allegedly) on reward flights, but aside from being able to buy extra seats when the flight is full, it’s the usual issues of availability – esp long haul.

One flight that was notable was 2yrs ago on a 747 upstairs on a flight from LAX and surprisingly I was the only gold up there (the stewardess pointed it out when I was casually looking at the printed manifest while waiting for a cup of tea). She came to me first for all meal choices and was very attentive.

As for the lounge, I often just use the standard lounge as I find it too much hassle – and oddly in the mornings they insist on dong table service for porridge (rather than you helping yourself) which is slower and frustrating when you’re tight for time.

MartynSinclair
    Participant

More of a case of I prefer to be BAEC Gold than Silver!

I feel I am recognised more, I do get upgraded (even when F cabin was closed, except for staff) and as my main departure airport is Heathrow, frequently enjoy the F class lounge.

Would I miss it if it was taken away…… quite honestly, YES !

LuganoPirate
    Participant

Interesting Rave, I wonder what the criteria in their system is? Mind you I fly mainly Swiss in Europe and unless on a super cheap business fare I’m always book economy.

Switzerlanding
    Participant

A couple more benefits that haven’t been covered:

Use of the arrivals lounge @ LHR when travelling in Economy.

Langham Hotels — complimentary membership to their 1865 elite tier, Voyager, so if you’re travelling to a city with one of these hotels it’s a good option and…

I think you also get a free treatment in Elemis SPA when travelling in economy long haul

seasonedtraveller
    Participant

At Cityprofessional – my apologies

After wrting the original post, I realized that actually, I was upgraded on BMI on One occasion from MAN to ORD.

I had also forgotten about the paper vouchers which you mentioned & got to use 2 of these ‘Gold upgrade vouchers’ (which is more than I can say for BA) on the MAN/ORD and MAN/IAD routes one way.

esselle
    Participant

BAEC Gold also get complimentary room upgrades in Mandarin Oriental hotels subject to availability.

flyingcanadian
    Participant

Hi LP,
    Sorry to hear that you have unlucky in the U/G Stakes.
    We are *A Gold from AC, and several times LX has upgraded us on the ZRH-PEK/PVG routes, with no obvious complaints from us.
    We wish you better luck on your future travels.

flyingcanadian
    Participant

Good Morning RATW,

If you read my thread to LP, actually LX upgrades us more to J/F on their China routes. We are not “MIles & More”, so perhaps it is something to do with the *A membership you belong to whom they upgrade.
    I know that Obviously LH look after their Senator Members first, and I know some who ONLY FLY J or F, even if they have a Y ticket!
    They are ofen upgraded when they get to the F Terminal in FRA or MUC.
    WE are happy with LX and use them all the time on the PEK/PVG/SIN/ BKK routes. They give us 50% extra in J/C compared to the industry norm of 25%.

RaveAroundTheWorld
    Participant

LP

Most of my upgrades have been longhaul. I also fly strictly Eco within Europe and only have been upgraded 2x ==> BSL-BCN and BSL-VIE (both LX). Longhaul I put on a sad face (with pouty lower lip) checking in FRA-BOG and I got bumped from Y to J. Happened also twice FRA-EWR and once MIA-FRA (no sad face needed). And from SIN-FRA J to F. All LH. This is just what I can remember last 4 -5 years.

Oh, and the biggest advantage of being Gold to me is that you jump to the top of the waiting list for standby. That s huge when you travel lots and need to change at short notice or have to deal with cancelled/re-booked flights.

flyingcanadian
    Participant

Good evening RATW,
    You see to be doing well for your U/Gs, but these are all *A FLTS, and the thread started on BA EC GOLD U/Gs!
    I agree with you that I think the *A Gold U/Gs are given more often than BA, and we are lucky in the *A. I am very happy with my U/Gs and on average I get 1 a month. Perhaps 2 in one month, and then nothing for 2-3 months, so I stick with *A, although long term BAEC GOLD members seem to do well. (there is a level above GOLD, but it is by invitation ONLY and not available by qualification).
    There have been threads on here re that subject, but no-one knows who has it and how to get it. It is something to do with the spend, and not the mileage you travel.
    Happy Flying RATW!

esselle
    Participant

flyingcanadian

The level above Gold is Premier, and you are correct that it is only by invitation.

I had it for a while; presumably because I was forever flying R/F, but returned it is a fit of pique when the then CEO started wasting shareholder money painting the tails of the fleet in odd artwork, from memory early 90’s.

I am honestly not sure if it still exists today or not, but in the day, it was a bit of a door opener.

GoldFlyer
    Participant

Good evening,
    I’m gold card holder for the last 1.5 years and I think I’m quite familiar now with the privileges which come with the gold status. Though I’ve thought, until I’ve booked a trip in Euro Traveller for two friends and myself.
    During the booking process I was able to reserve seats for all three of us free of charge, I assume based on being gold. I wonder now, will we get gold status treatment at the airport as well, like fast track and especially lounge access?
    Reading the small print on ba.com it says: “Galleries First lounges — cardholder plus one guest”.

My question is, does the “plus one guest” policy apply as well when joined by two travel companions booked on the same booking reference?
    Does anyone know what will happen when I approach the Gatekeepers of the Golden Door with two of my friends? I fear, I know the answer, but you never know.

I’ve seen on numerous occasions in past families in the GFL, but then I assume exceptions are made when travelling with children, which of course is understandable.

first_class_please
    Participant

GoldFlyer, your fear is correct.

One guest / travel companion. Regardless of how many people are on the actual booking for lounge access.

flyingcanadian
    Participant

Good evening, Esselle

Thank you for answering my query. I had read about it here on this forum, but I could not remember the details. It was thought to be “rather snobbish” (present company excepted) and one member did not want to his colleaguesto know that he had it. However it opened various doors for you, and you could obtain a FC seat (say at Christmas) where none existed, or when BA had a new product, you had a special invite.
    I think Esselle it was “based on Spend”, and nothing to do with miles flown, like the present system.
    Thank you again, Esselle, and between now and Christmas, I wish you lots of “Pleasant Flying” if flying can ever be considered “Pleasant”!!

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 51 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls