British Airways Club Class boarding chaotic

Back to Forum
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 20 total)

• lima4078
    Participant

On a recent British Airways flight from Lima, Peru to London Gatwick, Business class boarding was a disaster. One line only – announcement boarded groups 1, 2 and 3 together. Half of people assumed the other half were not groups 1,2 and 3 and moved to the front for a chaotic mass melee!

Solution is simple. There was plenty of space to have 3 signposted lines – Groups 1, 2 and 3. This would avoid the melee and then board group 1 followed by other groups. This procedure is done by other airlines – Latam for example. Common sense really! Why have groups 1,2 and 3 when you then let all 3 groups board together?

FDOS_UK
    Participant

[quote quote=868713]

Solution is simple. There was plenty of space to have 3 signposted lines – Groups 1, 2 and 3. This would avoid the melee and then board group 1 followed by other groups. This procedure is done by other airlines – Latam for example. Common sense really! Why have groups 1,2 and 3 when you then let all 3 groups board together?[/quote]

This is supposed to be the procedure. group 1, then group 2, then group 3, finally 4 & 5.

BA cannot even operate a consistent boarding procedure and before anyone blames it on using contract handling companies, Ryanair uses contract handlers and has a rigorous compliance to their procedure.

Of course one cannot expect a budget carrier like BA to operate as smoothly as a premium carrier like Ryanair.

handbag
    Participant

I have found this to be really hit and miss. Flew back from Vegas recently and it was the most organised boarding I have seen. Have been elsewhere and as you described.

Inquisitive
    Participant

There is no point finding faults on every aspects of BA operations. Need to accept that BA is a second class full service airline and all aspects of its operations are second class.
    If one accepts that, life will be easier. Also try to travel other good airlines time to time and life will be enjoyable.
    I just travelled SQ long haul and the journey was a bliss except the third world type experience at Heathrow security.

nevereconomy
    Participant

Wonder if it is a British or BA cultural thing but they are not firm handling passengers in a lot of cases (have seen it on board too). Perhaps they need to
    take a lead from the US carriers – some yelling at passengers and threatening to call security – that would tighten things up pretty smartish!

FDOS_UK
    Participant

[quote quote=868730]Wonder if it is a British or BA cultural thing but they are not firm handling passengers in a lot of cases (have seen it on board too). Perhaps they need to

take a lead from the US carriers – some yelling at passengers and threatening to call security – that would tighten things up pretty smartish![/quote]

Yep, the US carriers do it well πŸ˜‰

https://media2.s-nbcnews.com/j/newscms/2017_15/1963851/170413-david-dao-dragged-off-plane-se-1209p_a274ec1c2778495861b09e83696ce53c.1024;768;7;70;3.jpg

Inquisitive
    Participant

A firm and polite approach is also possible.
    Try SQ boarding anywhere in the world, even it is managed by different gate agents, the standard is the same.
    However I must point out there could be some British thing that non-British like me do not understand. During my recent trip with SQ, the gate agents (Dnata) – although followed SQ procedures – but quite clumsy on many aspects. However as the lounge and inflight experience was so good, I almost forgot about all the minor issues.

FDOS_UK
    Participant

There is no point finding faults on every aspects of BA operations. Need to accept that BA is a second class full service airline and all aspects of its operations are second class.

Could you explain what a ‘second class full service carrier’ is?

I mean, an airline either provides a full service (including priority boarding per published procedure) or it doesn’t, in which case it is not a a full service carrier.

If it promises the former, then does not deliver, IMHO people are justified in making a comment.

Flightlevel
    Participant

[quote quote=868732]

Wonder if it is a British or BA cultural thing but they are not firm handling passengers in a lot of cases (have seen it on board too). Perhaps they need to

take a lead from the US carriers – some yelling at passengers and threatening to call security – that would tighten things up pretty smartish!

Yep, the US carriers do it well πŸ˜‰

https://media2.s-nbcnews.com/j/newscms/2017_15/1963851/170413-david-dao-dragged-off-plane-se-1209p_a274ec1c2778495861b09e83696ce53c.1024;768;7;70;3.jpg[/quote]

Probably is British culture that makes gate agents too polite, and BA has only recently used the numerical procedure. Practice makes perfect as US airlines have discovered.

FDOS_UK
    Participant

[quote quote=868759]Probably is British culture that makes gate agents too polite, and BA has only recently used the numerical procedure. Practice makes perfect as US airlines have discovered.[/quote]

If that is true, how come BA’s outstations (with local staff) seem to have trouble?

Also, I have to say that Heathrow culture is not quite the same as British culture πŸ™‚

Defcon5
    Participant

Other British carriers are available, never an issue when boarding with Virgin Atlantic.

FDOS_UK
    Participant

Virgin’s drawback, compared to BA, is their relatively limited route network.

It’s a shame, as they have a very good premium economy product.

Gold-2K
    Participant

I hate United but their group boarding process is great. If you are in group 2 and try to board with group 1, your boarding pass won’t scan so the gate agent can’t let you through!

Avoids any confusion!

I agree on Vegas by the way, but I think it partly works as there is loads of space at the gate area to form the queues. Compare that to the experience of boarding an A380 @ T5 C-Gate where you can’t even get close enough to the gate to see where the group lines start and finish.

I still think BA could allow First passengers to pre-board with families and the walking wounded!

Inquisitive
    Participant

FDOS_UK. Not meeting desired/declared service makes BA a second class carrier IMHO.
    Many comment about airport baggage handling, non-airline gate agent are not in airline control. That is not true, Airlines have definitive control on these and how they manage the contract with various agencies. Only immigration and security are not with airlines control.

openfly
    Participant

Just flown 4 BA Club sectors on round trip…2 short/2long haul with partner on same booking…I’m Gold, partner Silver. I was Group 1 on each boarding card, partner was Group 2 ??? Naturally I boarded in the first wave and left partner to join me later! πŸ˜‡
    Wrote to the work experience kid but still awaiting a reply!

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 20 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls