British Airways Boeing 737 Max NO Policy

Back to Forum
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)

• GBAIR72
    Participant

I booked a flight which included two sectors flown by American Airlines operated by Boeing 757s for September, when i booked i checked the aircraft type.Boeing 757 and EJ175
    American Airlines have now changed the aircraft to Boeing 737Max8 and i only found out as my seat number had changed.

As the booking is done via BA i called BA and 1) asked BA whats their policy? and 2) could I change the flight to another one which is operated by a safe aircraft. The answer was to both was NO, unless if American cancel the flight they cannot rebook me onto another flight.

I have now booked with JetBlue.

FrDougal
    Participant

Well considering the fleet is still grounded and likely to be so for the remainer of the year I wouldn’t be too concerned.

Remember, BA franchise carrier Comair has a few in their fleet in full BA colours, obviously grounded but still.

BackOfThePlane
    Participant

Are you suggesting that airlines allow pax to amend their booked arrangements on the basis that they aren’t happy with the type of aircraft being used? Where exactly does one draw that particular line?

1 user thanked author for this post.

AFlyingDutchman
    Participant

Fully agree with your comment @BackOfThePlane. Once the Max is back in the air, it will most likely be one of the safest most scrutinised planes in operation. No airline will return these aircraft to operation until they are fully convinced in their safety.

2 users thanked author for this post.

GBAIR72
    Participant

The issue I have is my friends their flights on AA.Com got their flights changed by American, when they said they wouldn’t go on a MAX8, however as I booked on BA.com I am not allowed to change it. That’s my issue.

I don’t care if the plane is scrutinised or not, I wont fly on it. Maybe after 3 or 4 years time without incident. Until then let others test it.

AMcWhirter
    Participant

[quote quote=939735]I don’t care if the plane is scrutinised or not, I wont fly on it.[/quote]

As I noted earlier there will be issues with connecting flights (when the latter are operated by the MAX).

As we all know airlines can and do change aircraft types … sometimes at short notice.

Who can tell is a US domestic [flight] aircraft is going to be changed whilst onboard a 10 hour flight to the US ?

SimonS1
    Participant

OP sounds a little strange to me. 737 Max are all grounded so I’m curious that AA are scheduling them.

On the other hand if they are re-certified by regulators then I’m not sure there are grounds for cancellation.

fqtvgla
    Participant

If BA wouldn’t or couldn’t change your flights and AA are changing for others I would contact AA directly to make a change.

AFlyingDutchman
    Participant

[quote quote=939735]

I don’t care if the plane is scrutinised or not, I wont fly on it. Maybe after 3 or 4 years time without incident. Until then let others test it.[/quote]

Just Curious, Have you been on any A320 family aircraft recently? For the entire A320 family, 118 aviation accidents and incidents have occurred, including 35 hull loss accidents and a total of 1393 fatalities in 17 fatal accidents.

Plenty of aircraft have had accidents and return to the skies after modifications, corrections.

But I agree with your point that if AA allows customers to change their flights to avoid the Max, then BA should allow this as well on a codeshare or booked on BA flight operated by AA.

1 user thanked author for this post.

rferguson
    Participant

Boeing doesn’t seem to be having a lot of luck with new aircraft lately.

After the 787’s delayed launch the fleet was grounded because of aircraft catching fire. Then there were engine issues discovered in certain 787’s which is still seeing an impact as airlines carry out the necessary fixes. Thankfully no loss of life in this case.

Then the 787MAX.

And just a couple days ago Boeing have announced that the 777X launch is indefinitely delayed due to engine issues.

https://www.foxbusiness.com/markets/the-revolutionary-boeing-777x-jet-is-running-behind-schedule

SimonS1
    Participant

[quote quote=942828]Boeing doesn’t seem to be having a lot of luck with new aircraft lately.

After the 787’s delayed launch the fleet was grounded because of aircraft catching fire. Then there were engine issues discovered in certain 787’s which is still seeing an impact as airlines carry out the necessary fixes. Thankfully no loss of life in this case.

Then the 787MAX.

And just a couple days ago Boeing have announced that the 777X launch is indefinitely delayed due to engine issues.

https://www.foxbusiness.com/markets/the-revolutionary-boeing-777x-jet-is-running-behind-schedule[/quote]

Indeed – plenty of aircraft have had ‘issues’.

AMcWhirter
    Participant

Will IAG be buying the 737 MAX ?

Vueling might switch from Airbus to Boeing

BackOfThePlane
    Participant

[quote quote=942862]Will IAG be buying the 737 MAX ?

Vueling might switch from Airbus to Boeing

<iframe title=”„Vueling might switch from Airbus to Boeing“ — aeroTELEGRAPH” class=”wp-embedded-content” sandbox=”allow-scripts” security=”restricted” src=”https://www.aerotelegraph.com/vueling-might-switch-from-airbus-to-boeing/embed#?secret=AqZm2HI4q8&#8243; data-secret=”AqZm2HI4q8″ width=”500″ height=”252″ frameborder=”0″ marginwidth=”0″ marginheight=”0″ scrolling=”no”></iframe>[/quote]

Perhaps just the usual ‘threat’ in order to keep their existing supplier, ie Airbus, on their toes….?

canucklad
    Participant

[quote quote=942875]Perhaps just the usual ‘threat’ in order to keep their existing supplier, ie Airbus, on their toes….?[/quote]

Trying to remember the airline CEO who went into a negotiation with Boeing and strategically placed his Airbus lighter down on the desk, in full view of the Boeing team .
    Could have been Herb Kelleher but not sure, brilliant tactic whoever it was !

AircraftLover
    Participant

American Airlines said June the 9th,
    that they will extend it’s B-737 Max schedule cancellation, through Sep 3

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls