British Airways B787-9

Back to Forum
Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

• Anonymous

I was booked in the World Traveller Plus cabin for the flight to Houston and as an Gold Card Executive Club member was able to reserve seat 16B which is a front row bulkhead aisle seat on the Boeing 787-9. My previous experience on the B787 was not great so I was interested to see how this compared.

On arrival at T5A I checked in at the Club World area as the First check in had quite a queue. I was directed not to bother with the check in machines and go straight to the baggage drop area. This was efficient and the man confirmed my selected seat and advised the flight was full due to an Oil & Gas event taking place in Houston. Priority security was quiet and I was through in less than 10 minutes. I headed for the First lounge at the Galleries South area and whilst the airport was fairly busy the lounge was fine. The usual selection of drinks, some nice hot buffet selections and people were being encouraged to look at the menu. Plenty of paper and magazines to choose from.

The flight was departing from T5C gates and I headed straight there rather than stopping at the lounge at T5B. Boarding was called on time with first and business class passengers plus Gold card holders invited to board before the masses. My boarding card made the magic buzz at the gate and I was advised my seat had been changed to 7K. This is a rear facing window seat in the Club World cabin and is on the back row of the smaller forward business class cabin. The seat has direct access to the aisle without having to climb over someone but the access area is surprisingly narrow and larger passengers may struggle. You get two windows and a great view looking back at the Rolls Royce Trent engine and wing – you appreciate how much these modern wings move during flight. The plane was G-ZBKF that was delivered in January 2016 so was nearly new and was in great condition as you would expect.

Service was very good and my choice of food from the menu available (I had asparagus and cured ham to start and fillet of beef as the main). The afternoon tea was also good with sandwiches, a selection of cakes and hot scones served with clotted cream and jam. The IFE worked well and the screen was very clear. We landed slighted late due to rerouting to avoid some weather north of Houston. Disembarking was by the second door that is halfway along business class so the first class passengers have to wait to disembark which would be an issue for me if I had paid for first.

The airport was quiet as this flight seems to land after all other European flights, the new ESTA queue worked very well and after a few minutes wait at the carousel for my bag I was through the airport and onto the hire car bus within 35 minutes of landing.

All-in-all a very good experience and my opinion of the B787 Dreamliner has been restored. I just hope BA can look after these newer planes particularly the interiors.

Review courtesy of Seatplans.com. Original review by user YellowBelly can be found here

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Business Traveller March 2024 edition
Business Traveller March 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls