British Airways B737-400 Euro Traveller

Back to Forum
Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

• Anonymous

PatJordan
    Participant

EDI – LGW (UK Domestic)

Booking and check in

I needed to travel from Edinburgh to London, and BA’s schedule met my requirements perfectly. Booking on http://www.ba.com is a relatively easy process, and I noted the option to book a “hand baggage only” fare. This is ideal for those who travel light, and I took this option.

As an Executive Club Silver card holder, I was offered the option to select my preferred seat during the booking process. Rows 1 to 5 are usually reserved for Gold members, however on this occasion, they were available. I noted that rows 1-5 were configured 2-3, which was unusual for UK Domestic. I selected 3C, and completed my booking.

On line check-in is available from 24 hours prior to travel, and I used this facility to print my boarding pass. This is a little restrictive compared to other airlines. Aer Lingus, for example, offer a 30 day advance check in facility. This is something I find very useful as I can book my flight, check in and print boarding passes at the same time. Maybe BA might consider extending the 24hour window.

I went directly to the security area, which has as a FastTrack lane. A very pleasant lady scanned my boarding pass, and warmly invited me to proceed. The security area was very quiet and I was airside within a couple of minutes. The security staff were very pleasant to deal with. Other UK airports could do well to learn from Edinburgh in this regard.

Lounge

Edinburgh is a small, but quite busy airport. Airside there is a good range of shops and eafes.

BA’s new lounge isn’t particularly well signposted but knowing it was opposite gate 5, I had no difficulty finding it. The lady at reception was very welcoming.

There is a limited range of newspapers and magazines, and a business centre with printing facilities and complimentary internet access. I took advantage of this to check my emails.

I believe this is the former BMI lounge, and it is large and bright with lots of natural light from the big windows. The décor, carpets seating are all of a high standard, and restrooms are now in the lounge which is a vast improvement over the previous lounge.

There are several different seat types and I initially chose a dining type table for ease of eating breakfast, which at 10am was still on display.

There was a choice of:

• Fresh fruit
    • Bowls of sliced fruits
    • Pastries
    • Cereals
    • Biscuits (in glass jars)
    • Hot porridge (with choice of toppings)
    • Toast (in small racks)
    • Juices

Additionally, there was a full selection of soft & alcoholic drinks available. I noticed the staff regularly replenished supplies, and cleared tables. Some of the staff I recognised from visits to the previous lounge, and all were very friendly and helpful.

I had a bowl of porridge which I enjoyed and a couple of nice pastries.

I then moved to an armchair beside the window and settled in to read a book. The view is if the front of the airport and car park, and I noticed a constant stream of buses linking the airport and city. This is one of the highest frequency services I have seen in a long time

Unlike BA’s First lounges, champagne is not on display but served on request. Whilst the staff are more than willing to oblige when asked for a glass, having to ask in the first instance can be a little off putting.

At noon, the lunch was put on display, and consisted of:

• Sandwiches (cheese & pickle, pastrami, prawn)
    • Leek and potato soup, bread rolls,
    • biscuits (in jars)
    • cheese,
    • crackers and oatcakes
    • savoury nibbles (in jars)
    • crisps

This is unchanged from the previous lounge, and is of a very high standard.
    Boarding

A boarding announcement for my LGW flight was made with an invitation to use the fast track lane. I immediately proceeded to gate 10 (a very short walk) where boarding was in progress.

The cabin crew were very welcoming, and pointed out my seat. The Boeing 737 was in very good condition, and with the first rows of seats configured 2-3 must be used for Club Europe routes. The navy leather seats had adjustable head rests, and with the extra width these seats offered, I made myself quite comfortable.

At this point one of the ladies from the lounge came to my seat to bring my book, which I had left behind. As it happened, I had finished it and left it for somebody else to read. I explained this, and expressed my sincere thanks to her for being so thoughtful. In retrospect, I should have left the book with the reception staff and asked them to keep it for somebody in need of a read. But it was a lovely gesture to seek me out in such a manner. Customer care at it’s very best.

This was a very quiet flight, possibly only 25% full. This however led to a short boarding time, and the captain (in his announcement) noted that we would push back a few minutes early. He went on to outline flight times, and this was followed by a safety announcement.

Inflight

UK Domestic is a single class product, and passengers have a choice of sweet or savoury snack with a full bar service.

I chose a packet of crisps, and a can of lager, which was just right for a short flight.

Being a little tired, I slept for the remainder of the journey, waking as we began our approach to Gatwick.

Conclusion

The concept of selecting a hand baggage fare when travelling light appeals to me, and I appreciated having that choice.

BA’s Edinburgh lounge is very pleasant indeed, and in particular the lady at reception made this a most pleasant visit.

UK Domestic product is perfectly acceptable for such short flights, and I thoroughly enjoyed my journey.

Pat, you made me laugh. I am forever leaving books in strategic positions! I am definitely not a hoarder!

canucklad
    Participant

Another enjoyable review Pat

It’s good to read that the BA staff are continuing the excellent customer service I used to receive from the friendly BD ladies who looked after me for many years.

BA’s domestic service is very good, shame about it’s reliability.
    But an Irishnan drinking Lager : )

And as Pat has mentioned , my advice to anyone visiting “ Auld Reekie” the frequent bus service is definitely the cheapest and fastest way to get into the city centre, well until the trams start in 2037 !!

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls