Bringing your own cup on board

Back to Forum
Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

• TominScotland
    Participant

Interesting piece about disposable cups on board and moves to encourage passengers to bring their own…

Airlines are rewarding passengers who bring-their-own cup

I flew QR in Economy yesterday NBO-DOH-EDI and tea/ coffee was served in disposable cups. On both legs, I held out my cup for a refill, this was taken from me, trashed and a new cup offered instead. Both times, when I questioned this, I was told that it was ‘rules’, they cannot reuse cups….

SimonS1
    Participant

Interesting article. I see Easyjet give a discount of 50p a cup while BA offers 15p. I might have guessed that coming from the chaps that don’t provide tea with cream tea.

On the QR saga, it doesn’t surprise me, that are more likely to be thinking about health and safety and being sued…..

capetonianm
    Participant

I’ve noticed on Swiss that if you ask for more water, they offer to refill the bottle they first gave you. Good move. Not sure about cups.

nevereconomy
    Participant

More misplaced craziness. Airports and planes are heaving with every germ imaginable and they are worried about reusing a cup?

canucklad
    Participant

As part of my efforts to making economy and LCC flights more bearable I’ve started to do the following, much to the amusement of cabin crew and occasional fellow passengers.

A small white linen cloth (doubles as a face flannel at the end of flight refresh wash)
    A proper plastic wine glass
    Lat year acquired a lovely Bilbao beer glass (from airport bar ) for a healthy cheeky tip which made the Easyjet warm cider far more palatable on the way home

Next time I head long haul I’ll purchase a reasonably priced tourist mug for my “help me sleep” hot toddy and my breakfast coffee

Small touches can make a big difference

2 users thanked author for this post.

IanFromHKG
    Participant

canucklad, you should look at silicone “glasses”. We have discovered the joy that is a Riedel wine glass and how much they can improve a wine if you choose the right glass. They are wonderful, but incredibly fragile. That isn’t practical on a plane, but it has made me conscious of the fact that a bad glass can really affect the enjoyment of the wine. While silicone “glasses” don’t even approximate to Riedel, they are at least a proper “wine glass” shape (which helps) but have the considerable advantage that they are virtually indestructible, they squash flat and spring back into shape, have no taste so don’t affect the taste of the contents, and weigh very little.

You can see an example here (I have no affiliation with Amazon, the sellers or the producers other than as a satisfied user).

2 users thanked author for this post.

cwoodward
    Participant

We have been using the glasses that Ian mentions for a couple of years but mostly for our frequent trips around some of the more remote Philippine Islands where wine glasses (and often wine-strictly BYO) are none existent.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls