Bringing tiers to my eyes.

Back to Forum
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 18 total)

• Cwyfan
    Participant

I have just been looking to buy 2 tickets from Birmingham BHX to Kilimanjaro JRO, later in the year.

BA quote £6,480 for each person, using Qatar metal, whereas on the Qatar site the price for 2 tickets is £6,519, on exactly the same flights.

With the Qatar sale starting on monday, and presumably some better offers to come, what on earth are BA thinking upscaling their charges like this.

I guess when I book on the Qatar site, I will not receive avios and tier points, but they are just not worth that difference.

ConstantFlyer
    Participant

Don’t read too much into it. Dynamic ticket pricing is a Dark Art, and it’s all down to algorithms and computer programs these days. Anomalies will arise, but they are normally ironed out once market forces prevail.

rferguson
    Participant

Not sure if i’m understanding correctly….of course you’ll earn BA Tier points and Avios when booking via qatarairways.com. Or have I got the wrong end of the stick?

stevescoots
    Participant

correct, I maintain my BA Gold flying other OW airlines such as AY out to HK, AA in the US and CX around Asia. Have not flown BA in about 12 months as they are just too expensive at typically 50% higher than others on my routes. That said Avios is perfect for using to get around Asia and flying friends and collegues back and forth to HK in Y

Cloud-9
    Participant

BA and QR codeshare so you will earn avios and TPs on QRs superior hard product 🙂

AlanOrton1
    Participant

Steve – has the rule changed in that to earn status with BA you need to fly with them on 4 sectors? Very low threshold to hit anyway, but wasn’t sure this has changed. (Like you the majority of my flights in the last earning year were not on BA metal).

FDOS_UK
    Participant

[quote quote=784811]Steve – has the rule changed in that to earn status with BA you need to fly with them on 4 sectors? Very low threshold to hit anyway, but wasn’t sure this has changed. (Like you the majority of my flights in the last earning year were not on BA metal).

[/quote]

You still need to fly 4 sectors on BA flights (or flights sold with a BA flight number), so you can qualify without flying BA at all.

I’ll probably qualify for a BAEC gold card this year and will have only flown a very small number of BA operated flights (some domestics to connect to Qantas and one return to Jeddah), so I agree with Steve, BA is priced just too expensive for me to use (and the product is often inferior to the cheaper competition).

e.g, BA MAN/LHR/DXB £984 in WT+, Qantas £681 – my client asked me if I would ‘mind’ travelling on Qantas, so they could save £300 on the ticket cost – LOL. nearly 50% more expensive and an inferior product – the seat is the same (unless you get an unrefurbed a/c), but the food is miles better on QF, no party sized snack bar in lieu of a second meal.

Cwyfan
    Participant

Just to be clear.

Does the 4 flight rule mean that, if I book through the Qatar site, even if I enter my BA number, I will receive the avios and the tier points, but the 4 flights would not be eligible towards status.

Have I anyway of achieving the optimum, apart from paying twice as much through the BA website?

AlanOrton1
    Participant

Hi kmcottrell – unless you are flying on a BA flight number your flight would not qualify towards the 4 flight segment minimum you need to fly in a membership year to achieve status with BA.
    If you already have flown 4 times on a BA flight segment in your membership year, or will do, then not flying on a BA ticket number on this occasion will cause you no issues.
    Your flights on QR should earn avios and tier points.
    Hope this helps.

Cwyfan
    Participant

Thank you Alan, for the clarification.

Do BA award flights count as a flight in that?

AlanOrton1
    Participant

Sorry, I’m not certain – I’d hazard a guess that they don’t but this really is a guess. The wording on the BA website says 4 flights, but I couldn’t see whether this means paid for flights only, or any flight inc award flights.

FDOS_UK
    Participant

[quote quote=784868]Thank you Alan, for the clarification.

Do BA award flights count as a flight in that?

[/quote]

No. Just like you don’t get avios for reward flights.

You get a line like this on your BAEC statement

Transaction date Posted date Description Tier Points Avios

18-Aug-16 18-Aug-16 Redemption 0 -8,500

JohnHarper
    Participant

Oh DoS, a BA gold card. You must have been very bad in a former life!

Nice to see your BAEC expertise developing though 😉

FDOS_UK
    Participant

John

The card will come substantially from QR/QF 🙂 I try to minimise the opportunity to ‘win’ a party size Kit Kat – ROFTL.

I’ve always found silver status adequate, I guess gold will mean a slightly higher class of gloop in the London lounges 😉

JohnHarper
    Participant

Didn’t you know that the Samsung outlet people are complaining about in the BA F lounge in T5 is a trial for similar.

Starting in the next couple of months the gloop will be withdrawn because that’s what their customers want and each lounge will instead feature a branch of M&S Simply Food so that their customers can have access to the marvellous M&S offering soon to be available on board in the lounges too.

The start date is later than BoB so it can be claimed it’s the result of all the positive feedback they’ve had since introducing BoB!

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 18 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Business Traveller March 2024 edition
Business Traveller March 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls