breathe in and hold tight

Back to Forum
Viewing 9 posts - 16 through 24 (of 24 total)

• BTMEEditor
    Participant

But not all went smooth for the Airbus
    For the twin-deck plane took ages to board thus
    So in a bid to change tack
    They sent premium back
    But they kept in the bar to remove fuss!

Edski777
    Participant

Apart from the entertaining poetry in this thread: As long as we fly to anywhere in the world for a price per mile you can’t even start your car for: why complain?

The people travelling in cattle class get very little space at a very low price. I recently did it on a TUI 787 in economy, 9 across, and found it tolerable if you vector in the price paid.

You want more space: pay more.

BEYbrit
    Participant

Edski777 – why complain?

The answer is simple. Complain when the experience doesn’t match the advertising.

The 787 is billed (on the website of almost every single airline flying it) as a revolution in the way we fly. A new level of in-flight comfort- across all classes.

Even Boeing with their ‘Dreamliner’ are culpable in creating this myth that doesn’t exist.

Just because it’s ‘cheaper than starting your car’ doesn’t mean we should accept it over a more comfortable alternative.

So choose the A380, A330 or B777 of Qatar instead of the 787. I had the choice of all of these, and I went for the flight on the 787 because Qatar said it would be great. It wasn’t.

If there is no choice, take the 787 but – certainly in economy – don’t believe the hype.

Edski777
    Participant

BEY,

Airlines (and Boeing) advertise about the upgraded styling, the better environment on board, larger windows, etc.

Sofar the Boeing spin doctors. At least they deliver. And so do the airlines in this respect.

Seating is quite a different subject. That is entirely up to the airline.
    I haven’t seen any airline (but I may have missed a couple) boast about increased seat pitch or width in economy, or seat padding.

Also none are advertising about the decrease in personal service, food offering or drinks service.

So, based on their advertising, I see no reason to complain about it.

They all do advertise with almost ever decreasing prices with every other sale they dream up.

Do they create a favorable picture by letting the cons out and over-emphasizing the pro’s? Absolutely, but isn’t that the main function of advertising?

Frequent airtravel for over 35 years has taught me that the hard way, unfortunately. But at a certain point you learn to accept it as a fact of life.

BEYbrit
    Participant

Edski777

“I haven’t seen any airline (but I may have missed a couple) boast about increased seat pitch or width in economy, or seat padding”

How about this then, direct from the QR Dreamliner economy class page…

“A surprise, more space than ever before

Economy Class comfort

Experience one of the widest and spacious seats onboard one of the youngest fleets. Settle into your own personal space with plenty of room to eat, sleep and stretch out. Fresh pillows, blankets, hot towels and toiletry pouches are also available to make your stay even more memorable.”

My feedback is that the surprise certainly wasn’t ‘more space than ever before’.

Equally, ‘plenty of room to eat’ is only true if you regularly eat with 10 friends around a dining table built for 8. The day that only 9 of you show up would indeed be a blessed relief.

I accept many things as a fact of life – don’t worry, my 35 years of frequent air travel also taught me that. Here, however I wanted to warn others that, if they get the choice, avoid a 9-abreast 787. After all, sharing is caring, right? 😉

Edski777
    Participant

BEY,

Absolutely, sharing is caring.

I have not seen this QR advertisement before. I have only flown them in C/J so can’t judge the economy section from personal experience.

As far as QR is concerned: I looked the configuration up at Seatguru.com. According to this site the 787 config is the worst in their fleet in terms of both width and pitch. No real idea why they did this.

It is however comparable to almost every other airline operating this type.

But I must admit: you are right about the QR 787 marketing and advertisments: it’s incorrect and misleading.

FDOS_UK
    Participant

BEYbrit

I haven’t been on QR’s 787, but the eco seatin gon BA’s (which I guess is similar) looks very tight, whilst the W and J are very good, especially the W.

An aircraft to avoid in Y, I’d have thought.

Edski777
    Participant

FDOS,

According to the info on Seatguru.com BA and QR configs in Y are the same. Pitch 31″ and width 17,5″.

It seems this is the way all airlines are going in Y on a 787. Must be the most economical for them.

I share your thoughts if you have an option, but what are the options? Look at the 777 recently. Almost every airline now configures its 773 aircraft 10 abreast in Y.
    9 abreast will, most likely, be the standard for the 787.

sparkyflier
    Participant

9 abreast in Y may be the standard for the 787, but with that I refuse to fly it. I have sat in the BA one, for about 10 seconds, and frankly It was the most uncomfortable seat I have ever been on – there is more personal space on a London bus in rush hour. The aircraft was designed to be 8 across, but the airlines got greedy in my opinion.

Would love to try the JAL 787 though which is as it was designed to be – 8 across

Viewing 9 posts - 16 through 24 (of 24 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls