breathe in and hold tight

Back to Forum
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 24 total)

• Anonymous

BEYbrit
    Participant

DOH-LHR-DOH in economy (because I was paying) with Qatar on the 787

It would have been a great trip if it hadn’t been for that pesky Dreamliner!

It’s such a shame. The service is amazing. The cabin is beautiful and was very clean. The food was great and the IFE was excellent. But I would foresake all of the above if it meant I could have a wee modicum of comfort…

Even with 5 star service, 9-across is barely 3 star. Hiding a bad hard product behind great service just doesn’t work.

As the saying goes…..”You can’t polish a turd, but you CAN roll it in glitter”

superchris
    Participant

Qatar Y on the dreamliner is a complete shocker and I would avoid at all costs. The seat (think 80’s charter flight) is made even worse by the AVOD box under every other seat.

Until they bring in some kind of Y+ cabin then its off the menu for me.

sandtrekker
    Participant

I do not think the level of comfort has anything to do with the type of aircraft. It is up to the airline to choose the type of seat and seating layout.

BEYbrit
    Participant

@sandtrekker – I’m not criticizing the dreamliner, I’m criticizing the QR dreamliner. Or any other dreamliner that has 9 across in economy tbh.

M.Moose
    Participant

Tell me about it….experienced the worse on AA. Such a pity they would cramp people into such a beautiful plane. JL has 8 across 🙂

LuganoPirate
    Participant

There was an airline of Qatar
    That was the cheapest by far
    But if you complain
    They’ll have you deplaned
    That horrible airline of Qatar

With apologies to Edward Lear!

BEYbrit
    Participant

@lugano pirate – love it!

How about this one:

The was a new plane from Boeing
    ‘to the top’ was where it was going
    But the seats were so tiny
    they made passengers whiny
    so to airbus the business is flowing

LuganoPirate
    Participant

BEY +1 😉

PeterCoultas
    Participant

congratulations to both resident poets!

mroo_ywg
    Participant

Unfortunately apart from ANA and JAL (Which were the first to take delivery of these aircraft) all other airlines have decided to go 9 abreast! Even ANA has its newer aircraft fitted with the dreaded 3-3-3 across!! Do not know who the genius airline executives are that test these seats (for a few minutes no doubt) and then subject customers to that wafer thin seat with no padding, virtually no armrests, and no foot space for hours on end!

superchris
    Participant

To be fair to the airlines concerned, its all about commercials, and part of this is about gaining market share against competition on a given route. I have no issue with BA offering 9 abreast in Y, as I travel in their Y+ cabin. With Qatar I have no such choice so avoid the airline at all costs.

As a method of differentiating a Y+ product from Y and not dilute revenue from business, one option is to downgrade Y. Perhaps this is part of a longer term strategy from the ME3 to introduce Y+. Until such time……Im out!

FirstClassWannabe
    Participant

I wish I hadn’ t read this as am flying to San Juan in a couple of weeks with Norwegian, on a 787 to then go on a cruise. I was really looking forward to it but am now dreading it. I would imagine DY are nowhere near QR standard either.

superchris
    Participant

If I was sitting next to my partner about to go on holiday, then its absolutely fine. What I struggle with is sitting next to some 18 stone stranger and needing to get some sleep to go into work on arrival. 8 abreast on a 787 I have a chance, 9 abreast forget it.

Yes Qatar (and the rest of the ME3 in my opinion) attempt to distract you from the squeeze by offering superlative service, food and IFE. I doubt Norwegian does that if Im honest!

jsn55
    Participant

A most excellent piece of poetry!

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 24 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls