Brazilian safety

Back to Forum
Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

• PointyMark
    Participant

Does anyone know how Brazilian carriers get away with a more lax approach to safety procedures than most other nations? Just back from a trip down there, with 4 domestic sectors on Azul and 1 on GOL. In airport security no need to take liquids or laptops out of bags. On boarding first Azul flight found all window blinds closed and on no flight were pax told to open blinds for takeoff and landing. Only 1 safety instruction card per set of seats on each side of the aisle.
    I thought that if flights carried US citizens then FAA rules should apply. Is that incorrect?

rferguson
    Participant

Why would you think that domestic sectors NOT operated in the USA would in any way be mandated by the American FAA?

IATA and ICAO mandate some safety regulations for international flights at the FAA may make extra requirements for flights to US soil just as the CAA could to UK soil etc.

However, you’ll be surprised to know that the FAA doesn’t even require window shades to be up for take off and landing. Some airlines however insist on this as a level of safety above what the FAA stipulates.

https://www.cntraveler.com/story/why-do-airlines-ask-you-to-raise-window-shades-during-takeoff

In terms of airport security it’s the same deal on domestic flights within Australia. You can take liquids in ANY quantity through security. You don’t need to take laptops out. And actually, you don’t even have to be travelling to go all the way to the boarding gate. Family and friends can literally farewell a passenger right at the gate like in the movies. So, if you are travelling Sydney to Melbourne or Brisbane from the domestic terminal these rules apply. If you’re flying international, the usual liquids out, laptops out applies.

5 users thanked author for this post.

SimonRowberry
    Participant

Interesting posts.

It does seem to be inconsistent, even within the EU.

Last week I flew BUD-HEL with a full camera bag (roller bag type) which also contained an iPad. At security I asked if I should take everything out and was informed that I didn’t need to take anything out, or even open the bag. They scanned the closed bag and didn’t raise any questions once it had been through the scanner.

In contrast, the following day I flew HEL-LHR. At HEL, I had to take every piece out of the bag and lay them within a number of trays, and unzip the various accessory boxes that I had that were within the roll bag. I also had to explain why I had spare batteries for both the Nikon and GoPro – “because I’d been on a four day shoot” wasn’t’t, in itself, immediately accepted as a reason, which I thought was curious. They basically “did me a favour” by letting me keep them (I only had 1 spare for each camera, so was by no means excessive). I then had a cigarette lighter confiscated as I had two and was only allowed one…..

I did, however, feel somewhat safer at HEL than I did at BUD.

Safe and healthy ravels,

Simon

2 users thanked author for this post.

Bullfrog
    Participant

[postquote quote=1210113]

At Tel Aviv’s Ben Grunion airport it has been a number of years that one does not beed to remove liquids from bags, and if my memory serves me correctly, nor did shoes need to be removed. Perhaps the Brazilians have installed that same equipment.

TominScotland
    Participant

When I went through T5 security a couple of weeks ago in transit from T3, they were testing a ‘no need to remove laptops or liquids’ approach. I have also experienced that at AMS. I guess that will come in across the system in due course as technology improves.

Malachi1
    Participant

Just WOW. If a Brazillian flight carries a US citizen, they need to comply with US FAA requirements? OMG, wow.

NO!. Brazil will follow its own safety standards, and if you do not like it. Do not go there.

Brazil is an amazing amazing country. I’m sure their air safety can/should be questioned…but not because some precious US citizen is onboard.

3 users thanked author for this post.
Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls