Brasserie Schiller / Goethe Bar, Zurich, Switzerland

Back to Forum
Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

• Anonymous

uggboylovestravel
    Participant

During our stay in Zurich we went also a bit of exploring along the lake.

When we were hungry we were looking for a restaurant or bar and found the Brasserie Schiller/Goethe Bar. It’s opposite the Opera House and was extremely busy at least outside with every seat being taken. The customers were a mix of locals and tourists, old and very young. Brasserie Schiller made a good impression, so we decided to go inside.

The bar is to the left, the restaurant to the right.

The Goethe bar was understated and elegant, held in dark colors.

We found the bar empty and took a table at the window. There were two members of staff and soon we received the menu. My better half had made up his mind quickly and choose the Wiener Schnitzel (the real deal made with veal), while I wasn’t that hungry and couldn’t decide for a while what I wanted. I was torn between being a bit daring or eating something safe.

I decided to go for daring and had the Riesling Soup. We both ordered Rhubarb Schorle.

Our Schorle was getting attention from a family, who entered a bit later. The drinks were interesting, not too sour, not too bitter.

The soup was served with baguette and whole-wheat bread. It was creamy, light and the wine flavor was still there. I liked the balance of the dish.

The Wiener Schnitzel was large, relatively thick, but melt in the mouth as it should be. It came with cranberries and potatoes.

Our bill was 70 CHF (ca. 57.20 Euro or ca. 79.25 USD) excluding tip.

The staff was prompt and friendly.

We had a good time and would return when in Zurich.

Would we recommend this Brasserie and Bar to a friend? YES!
    Would we eat here again in the future? YES!

LuganoPirate
    Participant

Nice report and it’s a place I know well Uggboy and will be dining there next month. I would also have gone for the Riesling soup as it’s one of my favourites. However, no visit to Zurich should be made without trying the “Zürcher Geschnetzeltes” which is sliced veal and mushroom in a wine cream sauce usually served with “Rösti”.

If you’re still in Zurich try them at the nearby Kronenhalle.

By the way, all prices in Switzerland are inclusive of service so no need to add more, though many locals round up to the nearest Franc.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls