Booking.com putting customers at risk

Back to Forum
Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

• w8ster
    Participant

I have been using Booking.com for quite a few years now and it used to be pretty good. Generally for larger brands I book direct with gold or platinum status but often some locations require more boutique accommodation.

Recently Booking.com is becoming more like a scam since their prices are no longer competitive and they have removed any possibility to escalate situation. I have been on the phone 4 days in a row raising concern about a listed property (apartment) that I subsequently realized (I know I should have checked) only listed a street name but not the number. The phone number listed is also invalid (I tried calling multiple times at different time of the day within their time zone). Stupidly, this is the only time (will be the last) time I booked prepaid by mistake.

When I message the host, 24 hours later I got a reply telling me to instead provide my personal contact number so that they will meet me at station (I did not share since it is against booking.com policy). When I asked for address of the property, they insist on meeting at station and not provide address.

Since then I have been on the phone with Booking.com’s “Customer Service” and each call I repeat the same issue, concerns and that I feel unsafe to continue with this booking since it violates their policy and would like to request a refund.

Booking.com continue to insist they will email the host and without their confirmation they cannot refund despite my raising security concerns. They told me multiple times they are raising the issue with their security team to investigate but the next person tells me it wasn’t raised and they will raise it now. They will not send email confirmation that they have done that. I have kept a transcript of each conversations I have had so far but still unable to figure out a way I can escalate this. Each call is the exact same message, they will try but is up to the property and completely ignore my safety concerns.

I have since cancelled 2 future reservations with them and waiting for this to be resolved.

As a backup while I wait for the resolution (not something I like doing since I don’t think its fair to the property) I booked another place with free cancellation but the property charged me the entire amount anyway, a day after I booked and when I asked, they said its busy time so they do that to guarantee booking. So either way, both host and booking.com does everything to push all risk towards staying customers.

Happy to hear thoughts from others.

1 user thanked author for this post.

SimonS1
    Participant

I had an issue when booking a hire car in Luxembourg through booking.com. To say their customer service was unprofessional would be kind to them.

w8ster
    Participant

Couldn’t agree more.

ASK1945
    Participant

Several years ago, I had an issue with them about a broken contract but, although they agreed they had failed, they refused to refund me the increased charges I had to pay to someone else. I have never used them again.

FDOS
    Participant

“provide my personal contact number so that they will meet me at station”

No, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller May 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller May 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls