Boeing recommends 777s are grounded

Back to Forum
Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

• SimonS1
    Participant

So Boeing have recommended that 128 Boeing 777 airliners with Pratt & Whitney 4000-112 engines should be (or remain) grounded after yesterday’s events.

Quite a cautious approach from the manufacturer, compared to the previous gung ho approach on 737 Max.

1 user thanked author for this post.

esselle
    Participant

[postquote quote=1093184]

Agreed, but I also find it interesting that this is clearly an issue with engines, so where else do P&W power units feature?

SimonS1
    Participant

[postquote quote=1093195]

This specific engine is only on 777s I believe.

esselle
    Participant

[postquote quote=1093209]
    Apologies, you are correct. I hadn’t picked up that the 112 variant is unique to the 777.

SimonS1
    Participant

No apologies needed…

At first glance I didn’t recall any history of such engine issues on 777s. A quick Google reminded of the BA one at Las Vegas (that was GE though), however it seems there was a similar issue in Dec 2020 on a PW engine at Japan Airlines.

Stevescoots
    Participant

Fortunatley no loss of life or hardware and at least with everything grounded there will not be additional major impact in downtime> Although airlines trying to charge Boeing or PW for loss of revenue may find they need one hell of a lawyer!

AnthonyDunn
    Participant

Quite spectacular TV film of what was left of the burning engine still on the wing after the uncontained explosion in the starboard engine. It would appear that one of the wide chord fans sheared off, owing to metal fatigue, taking another fan blade with it. Bearing in mind the size of some of the pieces of debris that fell to earth, it is a minor miracle that nobody was injured on the ground.

IanFromHKG
    Participant

I’m astonished that all the manufacturer comments I have seen reported so far have been from Boeing, who don’t make the engine that blew apart, and it was Boeing who recommended grounding the aircraft. Not a word from Pratt & Whitney. Does anyone else think that’s strange?

Their website only seems to have two press releases, both extremely anodyne:

https://newsroom.prattwhitney.com/2021-2-21-Pratt-Whitney-Statement-on-United-Airlines-Flight-328
    https://newsroom.prattwhitney.com/2020-02-23-Update-1-Pratt-Whitney-To-Inspect-PW4000-112-Fan-Blades-Prior-to-Return-to-Service

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Business Traveller March 2024 edition
Business Traveller March 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls