Boeing CEO is fired

Back to Forum
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 18 total)

• SimonS1
    Participant

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-50893490

“The board of directors decided that a change in leadership was necessary to restore confidence in the company moving forward as it works to repair relationships with regulators, customers, and all other stakeholders”

He came across as very arrogant. So Happy Christmas Dennis…..

capetonianm
    Participant

He came across as arrogant ….. + smug, uncaring, complacent, and evasive. Under the circumstances, those qualities are worse than sheer arrogance.

1 user thanked author for this post.

canucklad
    Participant

I know its semantics Simon, but he apparently resigned , presumably before he was pushed …

You could say that he’s implemented his own personal version of the Manoeuvring Characteristics Augmentation System that’s been his downfall

SimonS1
    Participant

[postquote quote=983741][/postquote]

Nope – according to the US media he was fired.

NY Times, CBS, ABC, NBC, Bloomberg, Reuters, BBC all report it as ‘fired’. So I stand by it.

Of course he was stripped of the Chairmanship in October. Hardly sounds like a ‘mutual agreement’ situation.

It maybe that he signed some piece of paper as part of his pay off, however even Boeing’s own announcement didn’t even contain the customary statement of ‘thanks for your achievements’.

cwoodward
    Participant

A very very long overdue sacking (because a sacking it was) but I fear that the replacement is from the same mold.
    If so in my view there is little chance of a Boeing recovery until the directors who have presided over the disaster that is Boeing for the past four/five years are replaced by a competent trustworthy team who are interested in building great Boeing aircraft once more rather than the current total obsession of maximizing shareholder(and directors) profits at all costs while almost destroying the business in the process.

canucklad
    Participant

[quote quote=983747]Nope – according to the US media he was fired.[/quote]

Agreed, the article I read has now changed the wording from resignation to ousted , I should have done a tad more research

AircraftLover
    Participant

This is the official Boeing press Communication:

“Dennis A. Muilenburg has resigned from his positions as Chief Executive Officer and Board director”

https://boeing.mediaroom.com/2019-12-23-Boeing-Announces-Leadership-Changes?sf226749134=1

SimonS1
    Participant

Yes, once the company had decided to get rid of him he was allowed to resign. But don’t be in any doubt he was pushed out, it was the company’s decision not his.

In this context the “resignation” is part of a corporate process negotiated by lawyers to protect pension rights and no doubt a payment to make the change without ongoing litigation.

So in reality he was fired, as the media reported.

esselle
    Participant

+1[postquote quote=983823][/postquote]

openfly
    Participant

…..with a massive pay-off!

esselle
    Participant

[postquote quote=983827][/postquote]

Of course! This is the USA!

nevereconomy
    Participant

In the UK things are done slightly differently – they take the huge pay-off WHILE they run the company into the ground – a la Thomas Cook. Same net positive result for the lucky executive. At least in the US there might be a Congessional committee – here the Government sits on their hands – Whirlpool would have had a huge fine from the Federal Government long ago if their fiasco happened there.

Keith
    Participant

The whole things stinks. I plan not to book any airline with max in their fleet so no chance of aircraft change

backintheseat
    Participant

Boeing deserve to have the backlash of pax refusing to accept any flights employing the max. It is now probably the safest aircraft in the air but 346 people died, victims of corporate greed. Boeing prematurely released the max for service before being 100% certain the modifications had no downsides and compounded this by not implementing comprehensive pilot training. We should all avoid flying with this aircraft

capetonianm
    Participant

What does one do? Refuse, purely on principle, to fly on an aircraft which will probably be one of the safest in the sky?
    Refuse to fly on any airline that operates the Max in case there is a substitution and you end up on a Max?
    Given the number of Maxs parked, on the production line, and on order, this would severely limit flying choices for many of us.

I would not feel unsafe on a Max once they’ve been back in service for a few months, and I would fly on one if operated by an airline I trust. No Indonesian, ME, or African airline, with the possible exception of South African carriers, would meet that criterion.

One company I worked for had a travel policy which generally imposed the cheapest choice on us, or the carriers they got the best override commission from. As there were a number of airlines I refused to fly on, the travel manager told me one day that if I carried on being so picky, it was only a matter of time before I wouldn’t be able to fly anywhere!

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 18 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls