bmi to Refurbish LHR T1 Ground Floor Domestic Lounge from March 6

Back to Forum
Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

• Anonymous

VintageKrug
    Participant

bmi has a frankly lamentable lounge in T1 for Domestic passengers, only marginally redeemed by a good selection of magazines and mini-Cadbury’s chocs.

There used to be an upstairs section with a full service bar, but as with the ground floor that lounge similarly suffered from an environment styled from the discount bin of B&Q home furnishings, circa 1991.

This upstairs section closed sometime last year, and has lain empty ever since.

Seems bmi has finally got around to scheduling the refurbishment of the Ground Floor Domestic lounge.

From around 6 March, the Ground Floor will be temporarily closed while it is spruced up, and passengers will be directed upstairs to the mothballed area until the renovations are complete downstairs, when upstairs will once again close.

Let’s hope bmi actually have some routes left to serve by that time, that they attend to the loos, which are Trainspottingly primitive, and take their cue from the superb bmi Great British Lounge which international passengers enjoy in the same terminal:

http://www.flybmi.com/bmi/en-gb/the-experience/the-great-british-lounge.aspx

No news on when the Domestic lounge refurbishment is scheduled to complete….

ScottWilson
    Participant

VK: Yes this is good news, I had my battle with BMI at the Great British Lounge on a flight to Dublin when they inanely said “not for domestic flights”. Fortunately I’m not Irish, as that nonsense could offend. Fortunately *A Gold card holders can use the *A lounge in T1 as an alternative.

I’d simply like BMI to match the ambience of the Great British Lounge and have food that isn’t just nasty calorific nuts, crisp, cheap cereal and unripe fruit. Given my experience with domestic lounges in Australia and NZ, where a wide range of cold (and some hot) food is available from QF and NZ (and many flights are no more than a hour or so), it would be nice if BMI made the domestic/Ireland lounge experience something travellers regarded as welcoming, rather than just a place to sit.

VintageKrug
    Participant

From bmi:

London Heathrow Domestic Lounge

The current LHR domestic lounge will be undergoing a refresh from 6th March and will be closed. However, the upstairs part of the current lounge will be re-opened to accommodate our domestic customers during this period of refurbishment.

The current lounge will close at 16.00 on the Saturday 6th March. Customers eligible to use the lounge after that time to the last flight of the day; will be issued with a refreshment voucher.

During this time, arrangements will be made to move equipment upstairs to facilitate its re-opening as a temporary lounge for domestic customers.

This temporary lounge will open from start of business on the 7th March and will run until the refreshed domestic lounge is re-opened on the 15th April as ‘The London Room’. Details of the refresh will be revealed in due course.

bmiAteMyHamster
    Participant

At the rate bmi are now cutting their domestic/ireland schedule it’ll be a miracle if they have anyone left to use the new domestic lounge when it re-opens anyway. They’d be better off just letting everyone into the one lounge while they are still in business.

FlightDoctor
    Participant

Does anyone know what the new domestic lounge is going to look like? Is it going to be similar to their new International lounge? I am currently using BMI domestically twice a week and tend to use the Star Alliance lounge in preference but would much prefer a decent lounge near to the gates.

VintageKrug
    Participant

My understanding is that it will be refurbished along similar lines to the No 1 London/Great British Lounge it uses for international flights.

VintageKrug
    Participant

The new “London Room” Domestic lounge was scheduled to be open today; inauspicious given the rest of the airport will probably be closed…

Anyone seen it?

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls