bmi short changing Continental Flights

Back to Forum
Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

• Anonymous

Foreignescape
    Participant

There is no doubt a straight forward explanation for the question I have but I am yet to find it. I have travelled twice in the last 2 months on Continental (EWR – MIA rtn and EWR – LHR rtn), the service in the Business First cabin was excellent and the new seating in line or better than competitors products on the routes.

My issue arose when checking my diamond club statement. I had booked net fares on both occasions, the only available and flexible in Business First. bmi does not give credit to the cabin when the booking is a Z class fare (which is discounted but the only option available on the flights I wanted), listing it as only eligible for 1x status and destination miles unlike equivalent products for other Star Alliance members (I recently flew JFK-FRA rtn with Lufthansa, business class, Z class fare and received 2x miles).

Is this an oversight by bmi classifying and only crediting 1x miles for Z class fares or a reasoned decision?

cityprofessional
    Participant

That’s the correct earning, and this is clearly displayed on the Diamond Club website. Z fares only earn economy mileage on CO, as well as UA and AC. They also only earn economy mileage in each of their respective programmes (e.g. UA Z on Mileage Plus). In any case, they are highly discounted business class fares, and therefore it is right that they offer only 1x mileage

Like any programme, Diamond Club has its share of swings and roundabouts. It is excellent for earning on economy fares on US airlines, and on premium fares on European airlines, but not for the reverse

Foreignescape
    Participant

I understand your point regarding the discounting of fares. But its the rationale for determining the classification I am questioning, my title should say ‘Short changing Continental and Air Canada’. United and US Air Z class as well as many other airlines earn between 1.5 and 2x miles (referencing bmi online information on ‘How many miles will I earn’). You are correct with regard to Air Canada only earning 1x (Executive Class non flexible still shows as J class when booking online so is entitled to 2x miles, discounted fare).

To elaborate on my example (and I understand these are discounted fares) the EWR-LHR flight was $3,700 rtn, Z class. Untied code share with continental on the same flights, show as Z class, so would attract 2x for the same price and cabin. Lufthansa JFK-FRA $2,200rtn Z class, which was $2,300 cheaper than Continental Z class, earning 2x unlike the continental at 1x so price points are a mute point.

Continental and Air Canada are the only two airlines I can see for which a paid business class ticket, albeit discounted, attracts 1x.

So back to the original question…..Is this an oversight by bmi CLASSIFYING and only crediting 1x miles for Z class fares or a reasoned decision?

cityprofessional
    Participant

It’s not an oversight. You’ll see that CO Z fares also earn 1x miles on other programmes such as UA and CO’s own programme. In fact, until very recently, UA Z class also earned 1x miles in DC

You sound like a frequent enough traveller to realise that (a) miles awarded often has no reflection on amount paid, and (b) metal rules over codeshares in Star Alliance, so booking as a UA codeshare on a CO-operated flight would have gotten you exactly the same mileage as if you’d booked CO

Sorry, it’s not an oversight, it’s a reasoned business decision, dictated in part by the amount that the operating airline is willing to “pay” DC for the miles issued. Same reason that SQ C and SA F only earn 1.5x, and other similar anomalies

In future, why not credit CO Z fares to Miles and More? You get 2x mileage there

Foreignescape
    Participant

I appreciate your response as most seemed focused on BA issues and products, it looks like your case is made by looking at details in isolation which doesn’t make me feel satisfied with the conclusions. Redeemable mileage and EQM/ EQS status for most carriers with United is 100-125% and 100-150% respectively depending on airline. United in fact give the maximum EQM for business (150%) to Continental Z class as well as J, C & D. If they gave less it would actually make sense as they directly compete on routes.

To your argument on the reciprocity or “payment” to diamond club, United seem to address this by compensating in Status Miles but not redeemable miles.

With regard to maintaining numerous frequent flyer programmes, it never seems like a useful endeavor, being UK based BA and bmi unfortunately make most sense. Though with bmi you are still seen as a poor cousin when traveling internationally trying to deal with multiple call centres and spreading miles does not ever seem effective. Maybe now ANA has removed the search function for members under 14,000 miles that is better loss leader given the ineffectiveness of finding available flights over the phone with bmi.

Having been a diamond club member for over 10 years I would put this down to laziness and the involvement of the International call center in formulation of policy!!

cityprofessional
    Participant

I think we’re going to agree to disagree here! It might just be that I always try to maximise my earnings within the stated rules, so in the case of Z fares, I would basically avoid CO…

Let’s not be too uncharitable about diamond club though. It has served us well over many years, and is particularly generous to gold members, and for premium class earning and redeeming (e.g. cash and miles). I for one will shed a tear whenever it finally gets integrated into M&M

Re: ANA search. There are a number of simple workarounds – check out the bmi forum on Flyertalk

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls