bmi: Goodbye Company Rewards, Hello Star Alliance Company Plus

Back to Forum
Viewing 5 posts - 16 through 20 (of 20 total)

• Senator
    Participant

Good afternoon from Stockholm,

I don’t know much about the bmi DIamond Club card, so a true comparison is hard for me to make. Let me give you a quick rundown on the good and bad about M&M:

GOOD:

* Qualification can be done one out of two years, and status is held for two years

* Companion awards for Senator (Gold) and HON – get 50% off second award ticket

* FlySmart awards in Europe (book between 2-14 days before) are only 15.000 miles in Y and 25.000 miles in C. (To put in perspective: ARN-LHR via HAM/FRA-MUC cost £400 return in C and I earn 10.000 miles so a “free” ticket anywhere in Europe in Y cost me £600 in revenue tickets)

* Always double miles in business, triple in first

* 25% bonus on FTL, SEN and HON card which also count towards status

* Call centres are typically very good – no India but AUS, US or South-Africa for English

* 2 upgrade vouchers for SEN and 6 for HON when qualifying or re-qualifying

* Simple calculation is that for UK residents you need 10 returns in business in Europe via FRA, MUC, ZUR, VIE to make Senator or about 3 intercontinental trips

* Pay taxes and fees with miles

* Use miles across Star Alliance for more choices

* Using LX Business Upgrade Fares I would calculate you would need about £3000-3500 spend annually to get the Senator card.

BAD

* The FTL (Silver) status is not as good as BA Silver

* The FTL/Business Class lounges in FRA specially are not very good

* Fees and taxes on award tickets very high

* Earn on hotels and hire cars low

* Limited distribution of credit card partners beyond core markets (even BA has credit card in Sweden).

PatJordan
    Participant

Hi Martyn,

I just checked with Dublin Airport and they tell me that Immigration is cleared in Dublin when flying DUB-MCO. Incidentally, Aer Lingus are doing great deals on Business on this route.

Hope this is of help, Martyn.

VintageKrug
    Participant

A reminder that bmi’s Company Rewards will close for ever on Tuesday 31 August, so don’t dilly dally if you haven’t already either liquidated you points into a voucher (s) or opened a Company Plus account.

PatJordan
    Participant

Martyn,

I spoke to a lady in the Aer Lingus Gold Circle Lounge this morning and she informed me that pax do NOT clear US immigration in Ireland on DUB – MCO…..I don’t know what to believe now.Sorry to confuse the issue.

dubtraveller
    Participant

Hi there,
    Believe that flight is scheduled (12:15pm) after US immigration closes at Dublin airport (11am I believe), which may explain the answer from Gold Circle. Have not used this route from here, but have been caught out before with later flights (to JFK) from Dub!

Viewing 5 posts - 16 through 20 (of 20 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls