bmi Drops UK Domestic Business Class and Free Food for Elites from 27 January

Back to Forum
Viewing 7 posts - 16 through 22 (of 22 total)

• VintageKrug
    Participant

I think they will be around for the forseeable future, it is still a strong brand in the UK; however it is likely parts of the operation, in particular the valuable slots, will be carved up.

As bmi is Lufthansa owned, and Lufty is clearly taking dramatic action, such as this, to ensure bmi’s profitability, I think there is life in the old girl yet, though further radical surgery is to be expected.

bmi’s Diamond Club remains one of the most lucrative mileage schemes in existence, but you are quite right to burn the miles sooner rather than later if you have the opportunity to do so.

Busygirl
    Participant

I have got some answers for Travellator…

Will Flexible Economy PAX be able to use Business check ins for luggage ? Yes, the comms I have received says Flexible Economy can use premium check-in desks

What is baggage allowance for Flexible Economy ? Unlimited hold baggage up to a total of 20kg (unless connecting to midhaul when it increases to 30kg).

Can you allocate seats on web at time of booking ? Yes, within the Flexible Economy area

What is food/drink offering after morning Panini schedule – packet of crisps and a glass of water ? Sandwich plus anything you want from the drink and snack range. I believe this includes hot & cold drinks (soft & alcoholic) plus chocolate bar, crisps, nuts, muffin & biscuit.

Travellator
    Participant

Thanks Busygirl, the luggage allowance is a decrease, business used to be 30kg. As a frequent long haul flier 20kg isnt enough so I will be paying for excess, and this on top of paying the same fare for flexible economy as previous business restricted.

Seems pretty punitive.

Travellator
    Participant

Re my gripe about 20kg luggage allowance for Flexible Economy.

FlyBe offers 40kg in its Premium Economy !

Think BMi need to rethink this !

wishee71
    Participant

I am off to Belfast tomorrow in Business and return on Thursday with the new “Economy Flex” as it has been dubbed. I will report back accordingly. It does however strike me as a strange move because as pointed out in previous posts the price is definitely in line with what Business fares where.

ScottWilson
    Participant

For my bad luck I booked a LHR-DUB return at the beginning of last week for travel Thursday-Friday. Business class was not sold, even though it was on the flight. Flexible economy was available and sold as offering free food and guaranteed seats up front, but I got neither.

Well done BMI, it’s not a huge deal, but it was fraudulent misrepresentation.

I asked what free food I’d be getting and was told it starts next week, and my protest that the website sold me the seats on that basis for THIS week went unheeded. Funnily enough, there were empty business class seats on both flights which could have been sold to me.

TominScotland
    Participant

I am flying Economy GLA – LHR tomorrow evening (Tuesday) – ie. before the end of “free” food and drink for Gold card holders (which I am) and return after the change on Thursday. I will test out the system and report in – it will be interesting to see whether I get the free food, even though I don’t really want it!!

Viewing 7 posts - 16 through 22 (of 22 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls