bmi Drops UK Domestic Business Class and Free Food for Elites from 27 January

Back to Forum
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 22 total)

• Anonymous

VintageKrug
    Participant

Very sad news, to be replaced by a flexible Y product:

“Complimentary food and drink, lounge access, 30 minute check in, fully flexible tickets and a seat at the front of the plane. Our new Flexible Economy service launches on 27 January. Available on all UK and Ireland flights to and from London Heathrow”

Here is the link:

http://www.flybmi.com/bmi/en-gb/the-experience/flexible-economy.aspx

FAQ here:

http://www.flybmi.com/bmi/en-gb/flight-and-airport-info/flight-information/flexible-economy-q-and-a.aspx

Travellator
    Participant

This is indeed a very sad day, I have flown BMi business from Belfast since it started. A quick web search shows that the new flexible economy is the same price as the current business restricted. Lounge access is included but with the downsizing of the lounges these can become very crowded, enthusiasm in their frequent flyer programme will suffer hugely.

VintageKrug
    Participant

This is a huge disappointment. The race to the bottom is surely nearing the end.

I enjoyed bmi’s domestic business cabin as a haven of peace, and from time to time was treated to their mid haul configured cradle seat, which was a pleasure to fly on.

The removal of food after 0930 for elite (Gold/Silver and BluePlus) cardholders is a huge blow for bmi’s competitiveness; at least BA still provides a full breakfast domestically until 10am and a full complimentary bar serving wine, spirits, tea/coffee and a modest snack (cookie or snack mix) for the rest of the day. After 0930, everything will have to paid for on bmi from now on.

The loss of food was less heavily felt by BA elite customers, as the spread in the BA Galleries/First lounges (especially exLHR) is excellent, compared to bmi’s paltry plastic cheese offerings in its IKEA style lounges. T5 also boasts the excellent Plane Food Picnics if you are in need of a proper meal.

I don’t actually think this will impact bmi’s Frequent Flyer Diamond Club; the scheme is already one of the most generous in existence and that will continue to be the case.

RIP bmi Domestic Business: another victim of Gordon Brown’s relentless desire to tax premium travellers ever more heavily.

PaulJennings
    Participant

What a pity. I truly believe there is a (small) market out there for short-haul business class. It doesn’t even have to be that complicated – airport lounges,empty seats and free drinks will do most people. Other fills like priority boarding cost next to nothing (although you’d think it was the hardest thing in the world).

Punitive taxes don’t help but if short-haul business class looked a bit less cheapskate then there might be more people willing to pay for it.

goalie1
    Participant

I just went onto the bmi website to book a few flights in business class from Edi to Lhr, I’ve been flying this weekly for the last 8 years, and wondered why business wasn’t coming up for the 24th Jan (seems it’s earlier than the 27th now). I then drilled down and was shocked to learn of the change they slipped in.

For me this really is the beginning of the end. it’s not just the business travellers bmi says are feeling the pinch this is definately a case of bmi doing all it can to trim costs. However, they shouldn’t try to market it as a good deal for the hard-up traveller as their flexible economy fare hasn’t altered and is still more expensive than the cheap business fare, albeit you get some reduction in APD.

I do think it will affect DC as I’m now struggling to see the real benefits for Gold, other than the Star connection. BA will be better for food, have you ever tried bmi’s panini offering?

Sad times indeed – time for Lufthansa to do the right thing and take over properly and/or put bmi to sleep now to save it from a slow death.

Travellator
    Participant

It was only a few months ago that their Belfast manager stated that they were FULLY committed to the Business product on the Belfast route. Their lounge has been greatly downsized at BHD and in the mornings is very busy.

The full english breakfast was always good, Panini – no comment.

Passepartout56
    Participant

Perhaps now is the time to kick bmi out of the Star Alliance!

TominScotland
    Participant

I am not sure that I will miss bmi’s Business Class – I use bmi domestic extensively, both for London business and as entry to the Star Alliance network from LHR but generally use the lowest fare option. As a Star Alliance Gold Card holder, I get most of the benefits I value from this arrangement anyway – lounge access etc. Nor will I (or my waistline) miss the free pannini!! However, bmi could use this as an opportunity to refresh their woeful catering in their domestic lounges, LHR Terminal 1 in particular but GLA and EDI are not much better. A few interesting, fresh and light choices there would make the brief flight ahead all the more enjoyable.

MarcusUK
    Participant

With BMI cutting its Middle East routes, unable even to maintain Amsterdam & Brussels even with selling coffee, It is operating not as a full Airline, nor at the standards of Star Alliance.
    It should come out, as it simply isn’t in that league anymore.
    DC should also be removed, but perhaps LH have plans for this to be integrated into Miles n More anyhow.

It is sad to see one of our National Airlines with a long history demise in such a way. With Business cutting back on travel, there is little difference with C class in Europe. Short EU trips merely don’t warrant it, as far as Companies are concerned. LHR AMS starts from £89 with KL for eg. It is £450+ business. Ten rows of business last year on the KLM flights all packed, now 2-3 rows only!
    European travel patterns have changed.

Domestic Air travel if the Government has its way by air, will also be taken by train, another hit for BMI who traditionally have served many regional centres in the UK.

But as usual, Airlines implement these changes without being open & honest with their Customers, having the courage to statew hat the issues are, & what their strategy is. Its abrupt & arrogant to just announce & impose rather than outline changes & work with customers.
    You wouldn’t be able to do that in your business dealings, would you?

Binman62
    Participant

Have used BMI quite a bit as I have an abundance of airmiles and only bmi are now offered as airmiles only fares from heathrow to GLA or EDI. British Airways, the owners of airmiles, have not offered a single seat from T5 to GLA/EDI for over a year now but will allow travel that originates in Scotland ……..but that is for another forum)
    bmi have not been able to hold a candle to BA on domestic routes for a long time unless you pay the full fare which, as others point out also hikes the tax. Service is poor, frequency worse and punctuality and reliability erratic. BA at least provided a drink and a breakfast on early morning flights and had T5 rather than T1.
    Can’t say I will miss bmi business class but while I am spending my airmiles I do need them on these domestic routes or for BA and airmiles to get real, and once again start selling airmiles seats to GLA and EDI from T5. They do to ABZ

frontcheck
    Participant

I don’t really understand what all the fuss is about. Bmi will still be offering a ‘business service’ in all but name. The renaming & slight on board changes allow bmi to get around the unfair & increased ADP tax for business pax along with increased profitability on the routes. Flexible economy will be situated at the front of the A/C with a ‘virtual’ curtain divider (different coloured head rests).

Compared to BA on the EDI-LHR route, I have always found bmi to more reliable (recent snow conditions included) with staff willing to go the extra mile. I would have to agree that the withdrawal of bmi business on UK short haul puts it at odd with all the Lufthansa Group airlines!! This may be something that LH might address in the future when the world economy improves.

MarcusUK
    Participant

As BT reported, they are cutting their Internatonal routes.
    Tel Aviv, Amsterdam Brussels, not re-leasing planes.
    BMI appear to issue unclear statements that are contradicted within a few months, so much for concentrating on business class customers as the BT article highlighted.

http://www.businesstraveller.com/news/bmi-cuts-heathrow-routes

Its the further demise of BMI.
    It should really come out of Star Alliance, it no longer is of the same standard. It is running semi-low cost as it is…
    Those BMI DC miles are better to be used rapidly, announcements are being made hastily when they making changes it seems.
    better to use the miles for a long haul.
    I cashed mine in for a C LCY-DXB-SIN-SYD ina few weeks, with a combination of Swiss & SQ.
    37,500 Miles plus £225 cash a one way to Oz, or maybe a return to South Africa or Canada?
    Either way redeeming offers a good value now, especially when flight prices are so inflated.

Travellator
    Participant

UNANSWERED QUESTIONS

Will Flexible Economy PAX be able to use Business check ins for luggage ?

What is baggage allowance for Flexible Economy ?

Can you allocate seats on web at time of booking ?

What is food/drink offering after morning Panini schedule – packet of crisps and a glass of water ?

JNCSKIIR
    Participant

This in touch with current company rules, I’ve been Y class for some time and gold card so I’ve no problem with this. Flexibility, Lounge and food still there. SAS Norway have one economy class throughout, its similar but no free food/drink for economy plus/flexible and still Star Alliance. I’m sure for one hour we’ll survive. Annoying that Gold has to pay if travelling economy, thats a mistake. Lets be honest BMI will be lucky to survive 2010. I don’t think they’ll be around in 2011.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 22 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls