bmi Diamond Club: 31 March Deadline for Star Redemptions?

Back to Forum
Viewing 15 posts - 46 through 60 (of 75 total)

• RichHI1
    Participant

I believe any tickets redeemed prior to separation on Star Alliance carriers would remain valid for 12 months. Interesting what would happen if you say redeemed some first class tickets to brazil on lh in February 13 then opened a LH m&M account and in jan 13 asked to refund the ticket to do a different itinerary. Also interesting if you apply today for LH M&m what status match they would offer?

RichHI1
    Participant

Left hand right hand i think. I know of a major multinational who mailed someone a formal confirmation of a senior management promotion through house mail at 11.00 am and formally announced wholesale outsourcing of the function and the need to reapply for posts at 2.00 pm.
    Poor corporate communications is evidence of poor management and I guess we knew that. Let’s hope that BA manage to benefit shareholders, passengers, employees and DC members to some to degree.

greyhawkgeoff
    Participant

bmi to leave Star Alliance on April 18. airlineroute.net is reporting that Asiana the Korean airline is reporting on its web site that bmi will leave Star Alliance on April 18th. The release is in Korean only…..

VintageKrug
    Participant

Looks like it’s 18 April, further discussion on this thread:

http://www.businesstraveller.com/discussion/topic/Bmi-to-Leave-Start-Alliance-on-18APR12

I hope the heads up was useful…

LPPSKrisflyer
    Participant

Hot off the press:

Dear LPPS

We’d like to advise you of some forthcoming changes to the bmi Diamond Club programme.

From 19 April 2012, the ability for Diamond Club members to earn Status and Destinations miles and to redeem miles will cease on the Lufthansa Group airlines (Lufthansa, Swiss, Austrian Airlines, and Brussels Airlines).

Any redemption tickets issued prior to this date for travel will be honoured.

All Star Alliance status benefits will remain unaffected by this change.

We are working with British Airways to offer Diamond Club customers the ability to earn and redeem miles on British Airways and its oneworld partners following completion of the sale. We will do everything we can to communicate more detail as soon as possible.

Regards

Keeley Downing
    Diamond Club Manager

RichHI1
    Participant

That looks nice and clear. If you want to redeem on any Star Alliance carriers you have 7 days from today to make the booking and presumably 1 year from thence to fly.
    At last precise fact and not opinion. and iwshful thinking.
    I suspect there may be some who see a legal opportunity here but that will just give us something else interesting to talk about.
    Thanks Krisflyer..

PatJordan
    Participant

My wife and I got this email from BMI too.

Most unusually, a day after I telephoned the BMI call centre to reserve seats for a flight (on Saturday next) I received an email asking for feedback on my experience of the call centre. Never happened before….I can;t help wondering why my opinion matters now.

RichHI1
    Participant

Legal defence?

KeaneJohn
    Participant

OK now I have received that email and read it . I understand it to be that you can only make LH GROUP AIRLINE booking for a further week. You will still be able to book say Thai, Singapore, USAirways, Tap and other Star Alliance flights after that time after that time or am I wrong where did it say that you can’t make any Star Alliance redemptions after next week?

RichHI1
    Participant

From what Krisflyer posted I would interpret:
    You can only book LH and sister company tickets until 19th. As LH is Star Alliance I would read Star Aloiance bookings as implied.
    Status benefits that will continue I would interpret as those benefits pertaining to the status you hold rather than miles. That would be priority check in, lounge access, seat booking priority etc.

Not the only interpretation but that is how I would read it.

If you are going to book on Star Alliance, I would do it now as if all BD members react to this mail, there may be a demand peak.

KeaneJohn
    Participant

The email says LH GROUP AIRLINES the LH GROUP AIRLINES is NOT the STAR ALLIANCE so I still say you will be able to book non LH Group flights after that date.

Before I got the email, I called BAEC today and the the lady on the BAEC “help” desk tonight said the deal was still being approved by the regulatory authorities and the next information would be available at the end of May.

Sighs….

LPPSKrisflyer
    Participant

I think this is a typical BD slip up.

I really can’t imagine that it will be possible to book other *A services if you can’t book LH group. Similarly, I expect earning would be impossible too.

cityprofessional
    Participant

I don’t think it pays to “imagine”. bmi has been very careful about its (lack of) communication to date. If they meant “Star Alliance” they would not have said “Lufthansa Group”, would they?

Helpfully, I have 5 LH flights booked for May and June… What I would like to know is whether I will get *A/*G benefits on those flights, and if so, then which FFP I’m meant to have attached to those bookings – my bmi *G one, or AN Other *A zero status membership number…

What a mess

KeaneJohn
    Participant

Well I spoke to BMI and BA today and got some more information.

BA said at this time there were no plans to status match or combine accounts as the two schemes would run independently for the time being but there would be earning and redemption opportunities on both airlines.

BMI confirmed that bookings in LH Group Companies could be made until 19 April after which time they would not be able to but after 19 April 2012 you can still redeem and earn miles on other star carriers.

BMI advised the policies on earning/spending miles would be announced on 19 April 2012 so I guess another week to wait and see what happens.

monstertravels
    Participant

so I guess I have missed the boat in trying to redeem points on flights..have tried phoning for past 5 days and frankly am a bit tired of the music and notifications on the waiting line

Viewing 15 posts - 46 through 60 (of 75 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Business Traveller March 2024 edition
Business Traveller March 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls