bmi Diamond Club: 31 March Deadline for Star Redemptions?

Back to Forum
Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 75 total)

• KeaneJohn
    Participant

I would be happy with 1:1 and status match but remains to be seen… I guess we are in the hands of the gods now.

VintageKrug
    Participant

On a close reading of the email, I’d guess Star Redemptions will cease on 20 April.

Don’t hang around if you plan on redeeming on non-bmi flights!

RichHI1
    Participant

Well it is not March 31st as the thread auggested. I think the April proposal is more likely to align DC into Avios than continue in *A but i think there will be a notice period, following the loss by DLH of their recent court case in Germany. Many are posting instant changes to routes, planes and FFP’s. I believe there will have to be a transition period to minimize disruption, keep focus on operations and not harm revenue.
    Do not forget BA and LHR are gearing up for the Olympics, I think integration will probably start to motor after this.

LPPSKrisflyer
    Participant

I wouldn’t be surprised if there is no alignment of Diamond and Executive Clubs until the autumn. LH had their fingers well and truely burned over short notice changes and I doubt want to repeat it but the same thing could equally happen to BA if they change DC too quickly. The change may even be that for a while DC members can book both on *A and BA flights. That should suit everyone!

PeterPR
    Participant

I too got the email and noticed a subtle variation in the use of language in the two halves. in the first part, talking about the summer it refers to ‘Diamond Club miles’; for the longer term it talks only of ‘Diamond Club destinations miles’. To me this suggests that destination miles can be collected and used alongside Avios, but that status match will be more complicated. Maybe I am reading too much into this, but it strikes me that an email such as this would have been worded very carefully.

VintageKrug
    Participant

To be clear, I think some have missed the subtlety in the email.

There is no reference whatsoever to *A redemptions beyond April 20. None.

LPPSKrisflyer
    Participant

Equally, there is no reference in the email saying there won’t be *A redemptions after 20th April.

NTarrant
    Participant

Whilst I suspect the BMI management wanted to say something. The email said nothing and was a bit pointless I thought

RichHI1
    Participant

As posted prior. dlh have just lost a ciurt case in Germany for making changes to M&M without reasonable notice. The case has gone to appeal. I think European carriers specifically ones owned by dLH will be very careful in making any announcements on service changes until the Appeal is decided.

VintageKrug
    Participant

I think the 20th April will see a formal announcement, with the likely exit from Star Alliance being a few weeks rather than months later.

CXDiamond
    Participant

More broadly, I think all European airlines should be wary of making the changes LH have been in trouble for. These days, what applies in one country can often apply in another. The LH Group and IAG are probably both very mindful of the judgement and neither will want any resulting problems from getting this wrong.

VintageKrug
    Participant

I think a month’s notice should be adequate.

Remember, the scheme will still be available on bmi operated flights. It’s just the Star Alliance options they’re pulling. April 20 is the likely date..

RichHI1
    Participant

I believe the German court held 1 month as a minimum and 4 months as preferable. I would think a longer period to Star Alliance closure would suit BA as it lessens any equitable liabilities from the DC membership.

goalie11
    Participant

Lucky white heather as we say – I get an email from DC congratulating me on achieving lifetime Gold membership, then 2 hours later I get another email informing me of the sale approval and the date of 20th April for finalising details.

No chance of BA giving this so I could be the last to get it and it then lasts about 3 weeks. With 750,000 miles to spend I suppose they would be better transferred to Avios but would prefer *A

LPPSKrisflyer
    Participant

ROTFL how very BD!

I guess like lifetime on SIA you still get a new card every year with an expiry date on it? Otherwise you could try getting past the lounge dragons for years to come!

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 75 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls