bmi Diamond Club: 31 March Deadline for Star Redemptions?

Back to Forum
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 75 total)

• Anonymous

VintageKrug
    Participant

If, like me, you have a slew of diamond club miles earn seemingly at the drop of a hat, you might want to focus your energies on redeeming them in the coming weeks.

The takeover by IAG is likely to conclude very shortly, possibly as soon as 31 March, and it’s not clear what will happen to the miles currently in the programme.

It is unlikely once bmi leaves Star Alliance that you’ll be able to redeem on Star partners, and bmi’s current route network leaves something to be desired (though Morocco’s always pleasant).

eddhggns
    Participant

Thanks for the reminder just going to burn the last miles on 2 business returns to Capetown. Shame the party is over. DC were so easy to build up miles.

VintageKrug
    Participant

No problem.

Of course bmi miles may well be converted into Avios, and oneworld redemption might be preferable depending on your travel plans. But none of this is yet known…

It’s as well to be aware of this looming deadline, though.

cityprofessional
    Participant

Ummm, is this based on news? What is your source? Why have you suggested this date?

IAG can’t complete the acquisition until regulatory approval is given. Once that’s given, there is no confirmation on what the deadline for the closure of Diamond Club. There is no precedent for immediate closure of an FFP except where the airline has gone into bankruptcy (e.g. Spanair). In other acquisitions (e.g. China Eastern of Shanghai Airlines), there has been a transition period

So, is there a source for this rumour, or is this thread pure speculation? What do the Ts&Cs say about notice for the closure of the programme?

Thanks for clarifying

VintageKrug
    Participant

It is based on the widely reported references that regulatory approval for the takeover is scheduled to be granted end March 2012.

It’s speculation, as indicated by the question mark in the title.

Once IAG takes over bmi, it is likely the relationship with Star Alliance would cease. It is therefore reasonable to suggest that Star Alliance partner redemptions may become increasingly restricted, or stop altogether.

There is nothing formally communicated re: the fate of diamond club, and I don’t believe any decision has been made yet. It may well not actually close, but merely “run off” with redemptions restricted to bmi operated flights only or it could merge with BAEC. Another possible option is that Lufthansa take it over, but this is unlikely.

However, changes can happen at very short notice, particularly where redemptions on partner airlines are concerned.

I wouldn’t hang on to bmi balances if you have an opportunity to use them up.

Travellator
    Participant

This could be why there are a number of quadruple miles here triple miles there encouraging people to fly before 31 March with BMi full knowing the conversion of their miles to whatever will be convaluted ?

seasonedtraveller
    Participant

I have just converted the remaining 350,000 miles into M&S vouchers and now have less than 2,000 miles remaining. Since I no longer fly with BMI its not worth hanging onto them.

VintageKrug
    Participant

How much in M&S vouchers does 350,000 diamond club miles get?

Travellator
    Participant

25000 miles = £ 25 M&S Voucher so pro rata 350000 = £ 350.

So 35 meals for 2 including wine ! Wow !

RichHI1
    Participant

Whilst there is little doubt the link with Star Alliance will be severed on completion of take over by BA I suspect you may be previous in suggesting ti will happen immediately. If you look at the situation with Continental and United or TAM and LAN. THe changes to FFP’s tend to take some time to take place. I would think they would needto communicate dates for changes etc.

It will be interesting to see if Ba does hnour BMI miles in its EC, what the purchasing power is. I suspect passengers will get better value for mile whilst still in hte current arrangements.

Mind you, given Malev and SpanAir I think BMI DC members should consider themselves fortunate if they still have their miles.

JordanD
    Participant

I’ve gone the other way – saw this as an opportunity to make a quick amount of Diamond Club miles using an offer to get a BMI MBNA Amex; if they get converted across to Avios/BAEC then bonus, if they are lost, then the pitful DC miles plus the bonus (we’re talking south of 45000) aren’t the end of the world.

Will take my chances on it getting converted across to BA Miles.

seasonedtraveller
    Participant

I needed a new suit so the M&S vouchers made sense to me. After all, what exactly is a ‘free’ flight and what is the actual cost of such unless its somewhere you needed to go anyway. Most of my BMI miles were used via TK on family visits to Turkey but, if you are flying anywhere where Easy, Ryan or Flybe go anyway, a ‘free’ flight ends up costing more than a low cost.

VintageKrug
    Participant

It’s certainly easy to earn bmi miles.

Those who haven’t yet applied for their affiliate credit card would be crazy not to do so; it’s a very good bonus miles deal, with up to 24,000 on offer:

http://www.flybmi.com/bmi/en-gb/loyalty-programmes/credit-card/credit-card.aspx

canucklad
    Participant

Thanks for the reminder. Will look at getting home AC Exec class to see the Canuicks attempt to win the Stanley Cup. Without the tears. Better start saving up to pay the APD though ! Re-morgagig house should do it! Or air freight the better half and the rugrats !

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 75 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Business Traveller March 2024 edition
Business Traveller March 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls