Bizarre Foods – what have you tried on your travels in pursuit of business?

Back to Forum
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 25 total)

• MartynSinclair
    Participant

Interesting article in this months magazine about bizarre foods and what’s available in far flung and not so far flung places. I remember some posters mentioning a very smelly Scandinavian fish they had tried…

I have always fancied trying the Fugu fish in Japan, but the right opportunity has never presented itself. Been to a snake restaurant in Vietnam but bottled it, avoided trying both rattle snake and crocodile in the States.. I suppose I am really quite boring where food is concerned…

Has anyone tried any bizarre foods… especially when you have a client/customer opposite you & you know there is a big contract waiting to be signed..?

Designer
    Participant

Here is the article

Taste: Try before you die

(though you have to be a subscriber to read!)

canucklad
    Participant

Thought Friday had come early Martyn : )

So thought I’d have some fun

At home I’ve recently munched down on the following exotics meals, consisting of……

1) A sheep’s pluck; minced with onion, oatmeal, suet, spices, and salt, mixed in with stock, all encased in the animal’s stomach
    2) Pork fat and beef suet, pork blood, a proportion of oatmeal, mixed with barley groats.

And whilst in New York, it’s a definite must that you try this local delicacy…..
    3) A meat trimmings consisting pink slime, meat slurry and flavored with salt, garlic, and paprika, cured in sodium erythorbate and sodium nitrite all encased in a synthetic edible tube

Yum, yum, yum, it’s almost lunch time.

navnov11
    Participant

[quote quote=838244]Interesting article in this months magazine about bizarre foods and what’s available in far flung and not so far flung places. I remember some posters mentioning a very smelly Scandinavian fish they had tried…
    I have always fancied trying the Fugu fish in Japan, but the right opportunity has never presented itself. Been to a snake restaurant in Vietnam but bottled it, avoided trying both rattle snake and crocodile in the States.. I suppose I am really quite boring where food is concerned…
    Has anyone tried any bizarre foods… especially when you have a client/customer opposite you & you know there is a big contract waiting to be signed..?
    [/quote]

1. Fugu fish, Snake wine, sparrow-on-a-stick in Japan.
    2. Rattle snake burger in Camden Town.
    3. Crocodiles and Kangaroos Down Under.
    4. Had been to a duck-only restaurant in Shanghai recently; had duck’s heart, lungs, liver etc and also curdled blood.
    5. Brain Masala (Indian/Pakistani preparation); a really sumptuous/spicy dish I have had in India and London but the best one I have had so far was in a small Pakistani joint in Newtown, Sydney, Australia.

stevescoots
    Participant

Its a long list, such is the exotic tastes of Officials in Asia (when someone else is paying!)

Snake, lots of it
    sheeps tail, as disgusting as it sounds
    sheeps anus…..
    buffalo hoof, slow cooked and just about the only thing i have nearly thrown up while eating
    Monkey, or at least that what they said it was
    boiled jellyfish, not bad at all

GivingupBA
    Participant

Live baby octopus in South Korea. A unique experience. Never again. Don’t ask.

Raw chicken in Japan. It was very good and I enjoyed it.

MickBettesworth
    Participant

Raw jellyfish in China took a bit of swallowing!!!!

esselle
    Participant

Smoked bear paw
    Braised pork intestine
    Preserved duck lung

Paw was not bad, but the intestine and lung were very hard work………

Gin&Tonic
    Participant

I was the lunch guest of the mayor of Naning who laid on a huge banquet lunch for our visit. The food was various Chinese dishes as you would expect. Through the interpreter the host asked if I was enjoying the turtle. So as not to offend the mayor I answered I preferred not to eat the meat of animals in decline but appreciated the gesture.
    These turtles are not in decline I was informed and live in the mountains.
    Of course stupid me it was Tortoise I was eating not turtle, that made it a whole lot better !!!

LuganoPirate
    Participant

[quote quote=838244]Has anyone tried any bizarre foods… especially when you have a client/customer opposite you & you know there is a big contract waiting to be signed..?
    21 Nov 2017
    at 10:42
    #838244[/quote]

Taken to see a large client of mine in China, and being told it was rude to refuse food, I was very apprehensive, and rightly so, as I’m offered the deep fried head of a chicken, the claws and all sorts of creepy crawlies. I explained that perhaps I’d lose a client, and i be very upset as I had deep respect for him and the business he gives me, but was sorry I just cannot eat these things.

He took it well and everyone laughed and now they tried to find food I liked. Pork yes, some fried veggie things – ok, then beef in a sauce. And it was good. then they called me a very strange foreigner- can’t remember the word they used. Other westerners will eat everything they said, but not that. What is it I asked? Dog they replied!!!

Well, I didn’t eat anymore nor did I throw up, but that’s the strangest food I’ve eaten, but it was done unknowingly.

LuganoPirate
    Participant

[quote quote=838253]1) A sheep’s pluck; minced with onion, oatmeal, suet, spices, and salt, mixed in with stock, all encased in the animal’s stomach
    2) Pork fat and beef suet, pork blood, a proportion of oatmeal, mixed with barley groats.
    And whilst in New York, it’s a definite must that you try this local delicacy…..
    3) A meat trimmings consisting pink slime, meat slurry and flavored with salt, garlic, and paprika, cured in sodium erythorbate and sodium nitrite all encased in a synthetic edible tube[/quote]

Canucklad,
    1. Haggis
    2. Black sausage
    3. Spam

Am I right?

Flightlevel
    Participant

Agree with last two,all bizarre foods, to which I would add celery!
    Chinese proverb: “For every different meal you eat, you live a day longer”

DerekVH
    Participant

1. Haggis
    2. Black sausage (pudding)
    3. Spam

What do I need to do in order to get BA to have such a wonderful menu on my next trip? My idea of heaven!

FaroFlyer
    Participant

Dog in Korea (South) and the following in China:
    Deep fried beetles
    Deep fried duck beak
    Snake
    Turtle paws
    Tiger.

The only food that I have ever had a serious reaction to was drunken prawns in Hong Kong.

When I was young my mother would cook sheep’s brains on toast if I was unwell. I wish I could get the recipe, and material, as they were lovely.

Stratocruiser
    Participant

In Tel Aviv some years ago I was given Bulls’ Balls. He must have been a very big lad….

In Nagoya once I could sense an undercurrent from my hosts as they asked me what I thought of one of the dishes.
    Having told them of my enjoyment, they then asked after my health on a regular basis for the rest of the evening. Finally, I caved in on being returned to my Hotel and asked them what it was.
    “Blowfish”
    I managed to smile and congratulate them on their menu choice, but I have to admit to an uncomfortable night’s sleep.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 25 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Business Traveller March 2024 edition
Business Traveller March 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls