Birthday greetings – from airlines, hotels, and loyalty programmes

Back to Forum
Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

• Tom Otley
    Keymaster

I’m sure you’ve had the same. Birthday greetings, automatically generated, by the various programmes that have your birthday.

Some offer greetings, some offer discounts, some offer an opportunity to give them even more personal information.

I know as we grow older, our anticipation of the next birthday… lessens… but these programmes aren’t helping.

KLM
    Tom, we promised you a birthday surprise 🎁
    What are your wishes?
    Share your bucket list destinations and travel wishes, and you will be the first to get the best-kept travel secrets and flight deals.
    Destination 1
    Destination 2
    Destination 3

To help you start making your dreams come true, here’s a gift for you:

25 GBP discount* on your next dream holiday!
    Your discount code

XXXXXXXXXXX

Use your discount code when completing your online booking. Your code is valid for 3 months after your birthday for travel within 1 year. You cannot combine it with a travel voucher. Read full terms & conditions.

Millennium
    Here’s to celebrating you
    Your birthday means a lot to us, so here’s a little gift to celebrate with you.
    Book a stay at any of our hotels this month and you’ll enjoy 20% off dining plus triple Points to spend on more of the rewards you love.

Red by Dufry
    A birthday 🎁 for you!
    WE WANT TO CELEBRATE WITH YOU
    To mark your upcoming birthday, we offer you 1 month Platinum status. Treat yourself and enjoy all the benefits of our exclusive programme.*
    It includes a 10% discount in store and on line as well as a world of travel benefits.
    *5000 points will automatically be added to your account to upgrade you to platinum and will be valid for 30 days.

Hi Mr Otley,
    Wishing you another year of happiness, laughter, new experiences and amazing adventures.
    The OZO team

1 user thanked author for this post.

GivingupBA
    Participant

I get these, and ignore them all. I don’t like or appreciate them.

The best in your list was Millennium – “Your birthday means a lot to us”

Translation: “Your money means a lot to us”

I apologize if that sounds cynical. I call it realistic….. And I do understand they want my money, it’s a business. I just don’t like the message. And I have nothing at all against Millennium

3 users thanked author for this post.

DavidSmith2
    Participant

[postquote quote=1227701]

Reminds me of a slot machine arcade in Brighton, back in the day, which boasted “It’s not your money we want, it’s your friendship”.

5 users thanked author for this post.

Mathias_K
    Participant

I’m not even sure I’ve received any of these messages.
    However, I have flown occasionally on my actual birthday and was surprised by the lack of acknowledgement of the people that are checking passport details to at least wish you a nice, if not happy, birthday. I am aware that BA changes the background of your digital boarding pass – but that’s about it.

I think that’s rather sad and would wish for a little more effort.

CathayLoyalist2
    Participant

Albeit some years back, 2015 I think, I was returning from the UK to SIN with my youngest daughter having completed the university run in the UK and we were both bumped up from Economy to Business. A very pleasant surprise , then I had been a Diamond for many years, nevertheless a surprise. Then out of the blue before the meal service the Cabin Services Director introduced herself and handed me a huge thank you card as I had just crossed the 2 million miles flown level with CX. The card was signed by flight and cabin crew. It cost CX nothing, made me feel great and my youngest was most impressed !!

esselle
    Participant

My wife and I flew DXB-LHR in F on BA a few years back. My wife informed the CSD that it was my birthday. Her reply was that she would inform the F crew and that they would spoil me rotten.

That was the last time my birthday was mentioned during the entire flight…………………

5 users thanked author for this post.

cwoodward
    Participant

Pleased to say esselle that I have had rather better luck on Cathay Qantas Air NZ Lufthansa Thai etc. Bangkok Airways even found a bottle of Thai wine and I had to drink it!
    I did in 2020 have a flight ex LHR to Amsterdam on my birthday -but they cancelled the flight and without informing us – and so I will never know -but I can guess.

LondonAndy70
    Participant

Flyertalk always wishes me a happy birthday :-).

When flying BA on my actual birthday the background of the app changes from the golden mountain on the check-in screen to a cake with a candle/sparkler. Given how bad BA IT is it’s a nice touch.

Sanran
    Participant

I always appreciate M&M birthday greetings as they are signed by hand (when looking at ink). I find a printed signature to be a bit sad in such occasions.
    With LX I had celebrated a few times my birthday (even the 30th) and always got an attention (voucher for extra miles, lindt chocolate box, haribo cake).

Tom Otley
    Keymaster

I think a lot has to do with the execution… and the personal touch.

Here’s another one I got

Hi {{First Name))

I hope you are well?

I wanted to get in touch to let you know about an exciting offering for your birthday….

2 users thanked author for this post.
Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls