Big changes coming at Avios?

Back to Forum
Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 30 total)

• No Name
    Participant

With a second home in Sarasota, we became regular BA Business Class travellers into Tampa. By and large, we were able to spend our Air Miles/Avios in the year we earned them, until the financial downturn in 2007/8. Thereafter, it seemed nigh impossible to book privilege flights to anywhere in Florida. Yet, when we flew as paying passengers, there were almost always spare seats in Business Class. BA claimed there had been no reduction in the number of privilege seats available – which I find hard to believe.

However, it does seem that BA would prefer to fly with empty – non-revenue – seats, than offer an advantage to Frequent Travellers.

ASK1945
    Participant

[quote quote=862975]With a second home in Sarasota, we became regular BA Business Class travellers into Tampa. By and large, we were able to spend our Air Miles/Avios in the year we earned them, until the financial downturn in 2007/8. Thereafter, it seemed nigh impossible to book privilege flights to anywhere in Florida. Yet, when we flew as paying passengers, there were almost always spare seats in Business Class. BA claimed there had been no reduction in the number of privilege seats available – which I find hard to believe.

However, it does seem that BA would prefer to fly with empty – non-revenue – seats, than offer an advantage to Frequent Travellers.[/quote]

MacGWC

Tampa is a super airport into which to fly to go anywhere in the central or west parts of Florida. We have done it a couple of times – and it’s infinitely better than Orlando.

We had no difficulty booking two Club Class seats, using Avios and a Companion voucher on both occasions, for winter flights. Indeed I have just checked and there is plenty of availability still for November 2018 to March 2019 inclusive. However, if you are going to aim for July or August, then you do need to be online 350 days in advance.

Another better (than Miami) airport for south Florida is Fort Lauderdale, which we have also been through. Availability for 2 people there is not as good as for Tampa – but there is some for January to March 2019.

travelworld2
    Participant

It would be interesting to find out how many more Avios earners there are now as compared to (say) ten years ago. My suspicion is that there has been a large increase- the BA Amex is very widely publicised and the success of websites such as Head for Points means that are likely to be more people “in the know” than there have been previously so booking 350 days out. As a result, there may have been no decrease in Avios seats, just more people booking them.

Whether it’s better for BA to fly an aircraft with empty seats than with Avios redeemers on them is something I guess only they can answer. They will get the surcharge revenue from the redeemers but have to fork out for catering plus additional flight costs as a result of extra weight. Do ground handling costs increase per passenger, I wonder? Presumably so.

ASK1945
    Participant

[quote quote=862996]It would be interesting to find out how many more Avios earners there are now as compared to (say) ten years ago. My suspicion is that there has been a large increase………………..[/quote]

I believe that you are absolutely correct. However, there may also have been an increase in the number of flights offering redemption tickets in some areas. Ten years ago you could only fly to a limited number of airports in the USA. For example, two airports in Florida have become four, three in California have become five, etc etc.

No Name
    Participant

Agree – Tampa best airport in the World. Number of people using Avios may have increased, but so have flights to Tampa (doubled), plus new airports. Prior to 2007/8 we could usually book Avios flights 3 – 6 months ahead.

In 24 years of 4, 5 or 6 flights a year to the USA we had to return to the UK because of genuine emergencies (illnesses) at home on four occasions. The best BA could offer was – lose the return flight already paid for (many months in advance), plus full return fare ($6,700 each) for single journey home. On all occasions, there were empty seats from Tampa and Orlando and on one notable occasion (a half-empty Business Class from Miami). We chose instead to travel back Business Class with Continental, US Air or United at less than half the BA price.

In my view, therefore, it seems BA would prefer to fly with empty, non-revenue seats than perhaps offer some advantage on such flights to frequent travellers.

Montysaurus
    Participant

To get back to the original point, is there any further information on the rumoured changes?

ASK1945
    Participant

[quote quote=863117]To get back to the original point, is there any further information on the rumoured changes?[/quote]

Yes – Avios as a separate company is closing next month. It’s all there on the Avios website. It’s dead easy to transfer any Avios you have parked there into BA or Iberia points.

Montysaurus
    Participant

What about rumoured changes (eg sliding scales) to Exec Club Avios numbers required for reward flights?

TiredOldHack2
    Participant

This pretty much mirrors my experience. I’d add that on two occasions, I’ve successfully used Avios to book a last-minute o/w flight out of Continental airports (GVA and GNB) when charter airlines have fallen over, so I suspect that last-minute releasing of seats is more widespread than people may think.

MartynSinclair
    Participant

I still find European avios available, efficient and very fair. Today I have had to change to a later European flight, as I wish to attend a family funeral. Change made within 24 hours of departure and I was allowed to change (and without giving the reason why). Yes there was a charge to pay.

Longhaul, don’t get me started…

ASK1945
    Participant

[quote quote=863185]What about rumoured changes (eg sliding scales) to Exec Club Avios numbers required for reward flights?[/quote]

Who knows what BA will do in their quality chase downwards?

Montysaurus
    Participant

Can I have advice please. Is it possible to book reward flights long haul in J and upgrade with cash to F?

ASK1945
    Participant

[quote quote=863694]Can I have advice please. Is it possible to book reward flights long haul in J and upgrade with cash to F?[/quote]

Sorry, no idea. Go online and check against the dates you want. Then phone BA and see if they will do this upgrade (however, I think it is unlikely).

Montysaurus
    Participant

Thanks ASK

FDOS_UK
    Participant

Can I have advice please. Is it possible to book reward flights long haul in J and upgrade with cash to F?

Should be possible AFAIK – it’s booking a reward flight and then trying to UUA that seems to be barred.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 30 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls