Beverly Hills Hotel Loses Oscar Party over Sharia Controversy

Back to Forum
Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 36 total)

• nmh1204
    Participant

I find it rather hypocritical of Branson to boycott the hotel when Virgin still fly to countries such as Jamaica, many Commonwealth Realms, UAE, India, etc with anti gay laws. He also refused to do business in Uganda because of their anti gay laws, what about all the other countries he does business in?

SimonS1
    Participant

David – I also have never understood why SM complains about the use of multiple handles but felt the need to change handles himself. Bit hypocritical, surely.

KarlMarx
    Participant

rferguson – 06/05/2014 12:48 GMT

In the UK it’s okay to be gay and not okay to have more than one married spouse, it’s a serious crime.

in Saudi Arabia it’s a serious crime to be gay and okay to have more than one spouse (up to four.)

No sane person would attempt to judge either country by the others laws/cultures and it is only the alignment of interests that results in business interactions.

The problem is that most people who object to the other culture have little experience of it or how it works.

In reality, you will find many gay people in the ME, as I am sure you know given your job, but a Gay Pride march down Olaya St in Riyadh would be ‘brave’, as the Brits say in their deeply understated manner.

rferguson
    Participant

I agree KM. What I guess I was trying to say is that if these stars of Hollywood want to highlight the fact that gays or adulterous straight couples face a stoning for their actions why not highlight (and call for a boycott) of ALL the countries that carry out these punishments?

I feel sorry for the Dorchester tbh. I think it has been unfairly targeted while these same stars will probably go and party after their condemnation at some other hotel backed by a Saudi or Qatari wealth fund – which has always carried out the same punishments they are boycotting the Dorchester for.

I have no problem following the laws of any country I am in. After years of flying to Saudi, Oman, Kuwait, Pakistan, Uganda. But what I think is unfair is when celebrities that have great influence jump on the media bandwagon of one small SE asian nation when their own country has cosy-ed up to nations with a far worse record for decades – with little mooted in public about it.

KarlMarx
    Participant

RF, sorry if I wasn’t clear, i agree completely with your point.

SergeantMajor
    Participant

It’s still unclear whose handle you once inhabited AllOverTheGaff.

http://www.businesstraveller.com/members/AllOverTheGaff/content/forum-posts

BT hasn’t been entirely successful in rooting out the TetedeCuvee/ CallMeIshmael cabal, as you so eloquently prove.

nmh1204
    Participant

I agree with you both rferguson and KarlMarx.

It seems that they forget, perhaps intentionally, what other countries are doing

KarlMarx
    Participant

SergentMajor
    Participant

SergeantMajor – 06/05/2014 13:56 GMT

Relax, take a chill pill, run a nice hot bath with some Elemis essential oils and scatter some rose petals on the water, play some Richard Clayderman music on your 8 track, get in, breathe deeply, relax and enjoy a nice refreshing ‘poo at the same time.

You will feel so much better afterwards, trust me.

SergeantMajor
    Participant

The point is one of official tolerance rather than societal disquiet.

FarmerGiles
    Participant

That’s rubbish, that is. Now get off my land!

nmh1204
    Participant

KarlMarx, unfortunately, there will always be organisations in any country, and politicians, that oppose equal rights for everyone.

SimonS1
    Participant

Think of the children, VK.

AllOverTheGaff
    Participant

SergeantMajor – 06/05/2014 13:56 GMT
    It’s still unclear whose handle you once inhabited AllOverTheGaff.
    BT hasn’t been entirely successful in rooting out the TetedeCuvee/ CallMeIshmael cabal, as you so eloquently prove.

It is unclear to you but not to me. I’ve explained before that until I joined this forum under the moniker AOTG, I had not been a part of this ‘community’, still you continue to judge others by your own standards.

Re the two posters you mention – would this be yet another couple of examples of business travellers who no longer post to this forum? A growing list of non-contributors and lost valued input replaced by all things BA and thread bumping.

Did you ever explain why you changed moniker from VintageKrug? Was it enforced from a few months back when BT took the wise decision to get rid of those spoiling their forum? (rhetorical)

SergeantMajor
    Participant

I do hope steps are taken to encourage the impostor to adopt another moniker:

http://www.businesstraveller.com/members/SergentMajor

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 36 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls