Beverages Ran Out in SIA flights

Back to Forum
Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 33 total)

• CathayLoyalist2
    Participant

Philsquares “this is Singapore (the country) and they tend to do things their way and are extremely reluctant to any suggestion there might be a better way to do things” – that has to be the understatement of the year. As an example Airbnb is banned for any rental under 6 months!!

nevereconomy
    Participant

Doing things their way does seem to still be working fairly well for Singapore. At least in Singapore no risk of having a bunch
    of noisy budget holidaymakers next to the home you paid humungous $$ for……

fqtvgla
    Participant

No champagne available on Phuket-Doha flight in December with Qatar Airways in their business class, as it had all been drank on the outbound flight from Doha.

CathayLoyalist2
    Participant

Nevereconomy, this ban has nothing to do with the reported increase in “residential noise complaints”. It has everything to do with the hospitality industry having got their “knickers in a twist” about Airbnb eating away at their business and instead of marketing their way out of a problem they have gone wailing to the Singapore Government who duly obliged. Ironic that 3 weeks ago I was at the Singapore Innovation Centre !!

K1ngston
    Participant

Personally I think you are being a little harsh on Singaporeans, if any of you have been here and seen what they have done in 50 years it would put us all to shame and you would begin to understand the mindset!

Yes they can be a little “blinkered” in their approach but I would much rather be flying SQ than BA any day of the week and Sundays. Throughout the plane the service in all cabins out classes BA and many other carriers in the region and beyond, so I am sorry that there was no sparkling water!

FYI I dont work for SQ I just happen to use them most weeks and happily married to a Singaporean I could be slightly biased because of these two important points, however having lived here for many years now I have the insight to counter the argument and agree where necessary if the points were valid!

capetonianm
    Participant

I have flown on SQ and found service and product outstanding (4 x longhaul in business), but the rudeness I encountered from several people in two camera shops, the business lounge, and when I committed the dreadful capital crime of sitting on a seat in passageway that apparently wasn’t a seat that people were allowed to sit on, at Changi, has ensured that I never wish to set foot in Singapore, which is probably a shame.

I have always though the Chinese were rude and arrogant and sadly my experiences at Changi simply reinforced the prejudicial view I had. A friend of mine is Singapore Chinese and she is lovely but when she picks a fight with someone she changes into a ‘she-devil’!

Who is going to win the race to report this for ‘inappropriate content’?

K1ngston
    Participant

Certainly not me capetonianm I am more than happy to accept others POV. I would tend to agree with you if the people were mainland Chinese hence the fact I dont live in HK anymore but I am surprised at your experiences…

Each to their own…

IanFromHKG
    Participant

This reminds me of a flight many years ago on what was then Dragonair (now Cathay Dragon) in business class. I had the temerity to ask for a second glass of champagne, to be told that “the bottle is empty”. When I (admittedly, rather tartly) responded that they should open another one, I was politely told that they were only provided with one for each sector, so quite literally “THE” bottle was empty!

I wrote a rather strongly worded letter to KA on the subject of premium cabins and premium service. They never replied…

esselle
    Participant

Once on a DXB DOH flight in “first” on QR, I was asked on the ground if I would like a drink before take off. I asked for a glass of champagne and watched as a bottle of Krug was opened.

Drunk the flight I was asked if I would like another glass, and accepted.

As we taxied in after landing, I watched in horror as the four or so glasses left in the bottle were poured down the sink……….

esselle
    Participant

Should of course read DURING the flight, not DRUNK the flight…………

K1ngston
    Participant

esselle we know 🙂

JPNU
    Participant

Esselle, that is horrible but not as horrible as the recent video of an Emirates attendant pouring champagne back into the bottle. I really hope that was because it was the easiest way to dispose of it but I am not sure……

Pies1311
    Participant

While I can only assume the issue on the sparkling water was meant to be a light hearted comment it did turn my mind to some issues I have been having over the past few months on SIA. As a regular flyer (mainly in long haul biz through work) I have started noticing little things which suggests that cost cutting is taking place, presumably due to their disastrous results from the previous quarter. For example, in the Changi Lounge Champagne is only available on request, the selection of food in the SG lounge has somewhat diminished in quality and selection, on a recent flight to London the white wine served was not the one outlined in the menu (& definitely a notch below). One hopes this is not a slippery slide to bring the hard and soft product back to the rest of the pack in which case they will struggle to charge the premium they currently enjoy.

K1ngston
    Participant

Pies1311, as someone who does not fly in the Premium cabins of SQ as I am a start up business I can attest to similar things going on in the back of the bus too..

I am about to head out on my 76th sector this year alone on SQ, I have surpassed my KFG points to be Gold again next year “yay” and things have been ever changing throughout the course of the year. For example when drinks are served they now bring around “poured drinks” as opposed to offering cans for example and will gladly offer you a full can if you ask but won’t other wise

The food choices have also diminished (SQ food in Y has always been of high standard) and now will not touch the food on many sectors. Like Pies1311 the food in many of the lounges throughout SE Asia in particular is not brilliant, however have to say was recently in the SQ lounge in T2 at LHR and was very impressed with the selection there!

Their disastrous results mentioned is due to the Changi hub being inundated with LCC’s and of course the almost completion of T4 and the soon to be T5 so we await to see how SQ deals with the sudden explosion of threats coming from all directions to its core hub business and how it positions itself in the future

Pies1311
    Participant

K1ngston, I am travelling to HK at the back of the bus in the coming weeks so will see if your observations are consistent with my experience. I have never been a fan of SIA and Silk food on short haul flights (mostly in Y) so I am with you I usually pass food, after grabbing something in the lounge. Normally the service is good as they just keep coming to top up my drinks!
    Re SIAs plight, my impression is that they are doing OK on short haul, its the long haul to Europe and US where they are suffering. Example, I flying to Boston later this year SIA price was SG11k, Qatar SG7k!
    I agree with you about the dilemma SG Govt faces on protecting SIA while also maintaining SG hub status.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 33 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls