Better than travelling first class…A pure stroke of luck

Back to Forum
Viewing 9 posts - 16 through 24 (of 24 total)

• croomes30
    Participant

Was once flying BA CW back from Washington on a 777 (just after they had refurbished with the then, new First class with the blinds); got my colleague upgraded at check-in from WTP to CW sit next to me and then I got upgraded to F at the gate – I was the only one in the cabin apart from the relief pilot! It was fab – never managed that ever again, but it was great whilst it lasted.

LuganoPirate
    Participant

Once to New York in the70’s we were just five I seem recall in Economy. The rest of the plane was totally empty. I can’t recall the airline but it was in a 747.

The crew moved us all up into F and we had a fantastic Atlantic crossing with even the FA’s joining us for was a riotous and rather risqué time – though they didn’t touch the alcohol – I think!

Other than that the Sudia flight to Riyadh from Cairo was frequently empty during the first Gulf war as was the Egyptair flight to Jeddah.

Kentflyer
    Participant

I have Ben lucky enough to find myself in this situation a few times. Once about 4 years ago on Qatar with my parents – only 12 pax in Y class, excellent service. Flew BA from LHR to FRA on an old 767!! And was only pax in club. Didn’t realise but they held back the packed y class cabin and I was let off first. But best time was when I flew into NYC and back out of BOS on Virgin the day after flights started after the ash cloud incident. Upper both ways and 2 pax on way out and only pax on way back!!

Gold-2K
    Participant

A few years ago I was the only passenger in CE on a London to Porto flight, economy was full. When we landed at a remote stand there were 2 coaches waiting, one for me and the other for the 90+ economy passengers none of whom were allowed to board the “club class” coach. A little embarrassing but amusing at the sme time!

SwissExPat
    Participant

I was also the only PAX in Emirates F on a DXB to MAN on A380 a few years back. (15 other seats empty)

transtraxman
    Participant

During the build up to the Gulf War I had to fly Madrid to Zurich. We were a total of five passengers on the Iberia plane (a B727 if my memory is correct). Personal service and a great flight. I never could understand why so many passengers who normally flew that route cancelled.

I might add that Barajas airport is/was next door to a US air base at Torrejon de Ardoz.. The only Barajas runways at that time were faced Northwest to Southeast. The Torrejon runway faces Northeast to Southwest. Thus there was an obvious traffic conflict as the distance between the two airfields is only 5 kilometers.

The US was using Torrejon as their main refueling point on flights from the US to Saudi Arabia. The traffic was incessant (almost like LHR today). This meant there were great delays and lots of cancellations at Barajas. I never understood why our flight was not cancelled when we only carried five passengers.

nevereconomy
    Participant

Some years ago, I quite frequently used to be the sole F passenger on the BA LHR-PHL flights. It never happens now as they overbook the other cabins and use F as the overflow. Which of course is why less people are prepared to pay for it now,quite apart from the poor quality.
    Also remember when Continental flew from West Coast to Papeete, only half a dozen passengers in Economy – which is of course why they discontinued the route.

transtraxman
    Participant

This piece of news from the beeb today cannot be ignored…………..
    “Chinese woman becomes ‘world’s luckiest passenger'”.

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-china-35480239

Carajillo2Sugar
    Participant

transtraxman – from the photos, it looks like the seats are all the same throughout the cabin so the ‘world’s luckiest passenger’ still got ‘the back o’the bus’ and exactly the same legroom as she would have had if the flight was full.

What’s the betting the flight attendants still hid behind the curtain and kept the fasten seat-belt signs on? 😉

Viewing 9 posts - 16 through 24 (of 24 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Business Traveller March 2024 edition
Business Traveller March 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls