Best services for staying in touch with home?

Back to Forum
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 23 total)

• Anonymous

JKennedy71
    Participant

Hi, I’ve just started travelling a tonne for work. I’m using Skype for video calling and Six3 for sending video messages. Both help me stay in touch with my kids, but anyone using any different services? I heard Tango is maybe better than Skype??

FormerlyDoS
    Participant

I find Skype pretty good.

If you wish to help kids with homework, there is a good little desktop sharing package – http://www.join.me

Cost is free.

MartynSinclair
    Participant

Use Skype and wife and family also have blackberry’s so keep in touch via whatssapp and BBM (which is also free).

Wish I could get Skype to work on Blackberry.

Stowage222
    Participant

If you need to share files with anyone (including your home computer) then I suggest using http://www.dropbox.com – it’s a free file share/transfer utility. I use it to move photos around the world. Also, I find Skype is hard to beat but it can be frustrating with less than ideal broadband connections.

Alistarj80
    Participant

Skpe and viber are affordable means of staying in touch with your famyily back home while travelling!

Str8Talking
    Participant

I second Viber as a good alternative to Skype. I also find Whatsapp quite good for messaging and sending photos/videos.

handbag
    Participant

IPhone Facetime.

Aladam888
    Participant

Is Viber available in all mobile handsets?

Str8Talking
    Participant

According http://www.viber.com it is available on iOS, Android, Windows Phone and Blackberry systems.

GoonerLondon
    Participant

Face time is really good and integrated with the Apple family. Foolproof.

I’m not sure if you can use Facetime on PCs though

LuganoPirate
    Participant

I also use FaceTime and fnd it great, though both parties need an iPad. I’m not an Apple fan but love this app and have saved considerable amounts of money with it.

SwissExPat
    Participant

Further comment on Skype…..

DO consider loading up your membership with some call credit (rather than simply using the free member to member service.)

I have loaded on $20-$30 and now make a significant number of calls to landlines (incl my elderly parents who would not have access to a computer not to mention a Skype ID)

The calls tend to cost 2.9cents per minute hence I have saved MASSIVELY on lond distance international calls to home and family (incl landlines)

Take care when calling a mobile though…….. it seems to cost 30cents per minute. Also some countries like INDIA are not part of the agreements and the 2.9cents per minute does not apply.

Skype will show you what the per minute rate is,…….. once you start the call.

MartynSinclair
    Participant

The best is not always the cheapest.

Old fashioned telephones still work.

BeckyBoop
    Participant

Whatssapp and Facebook 🙂

Sadly I don’t have a Blackberry anymore so no more BBM… miss it big time 🙁

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 23 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls