Best OW Emerald-accessible lounge at LHR T3

Back to Forum
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

• jpmarcel
    Participant

Hi everyone,
    I am due to travel in 3 weeks to Japan (taking my old father to the RWC for what’s probably one of our last flights together) and I am flying to LHR on BA (arriving at T5) and connecting on to JL at T3. Travelling in J, OW Emerald through EC.
    I’ve been through LHR T5 dozens of times but I am quite unfamiliar to T3. I’ve read about the lounges there but I am wondering which of the Emerald-accessible (thus F) one you would advise us to visit. Just so you know, we don’t have a very long connection time so would value quality of drinks and food + nice and quiet atmosphere over other fancy facilities.
    Thank you in advance for your valued advices.

stevescoots
    Participant

I would say the Cathay lounge

1 user thanked author for this post.

Swissdiver
    Participant

[quote quote=955474]I would say the Cathay lounge[/quote]

+1

esselle
    Participant

Yes, Cathay

Stormin
    Participant

Hi

T3 can be quite busy (annoyingly) but overall I’d say you you’ll be fine with either BA or Cathay. Cathay feels more relaxed but still like the BA lounges because its a bit more roomier.

Enjoy the RWC

MartynSinclair
    Participant

I tried both a month or so ago and would say it depends what you are after. I was travelling with a guest and found the CX lounge small and crowded. To get 2 seats together involved asking people, very politely, to move seats (not to a different area, just to move one up along the line). I thought the food and drink offering was not as wide as the T3 F lounge (BA).

Where the CX lounge scored highly was the cleanliness and better ramp views.

The T3 BA F lounge is much bigger, easier to get seats, wider drinks options and food generally of a better standard. I believe someone posted some pictures a couple of months ago of mouse traps in the BA lounge, which reinforces the cleanliness / hygiene problems

You could always try both ๐Ÿ™‚

Enjoy the trip

AFlyingDutchman
    Participant

From my perspective, definitely Cathay Lounge! Clean, excellent food, superb staff.

rferguson
    Participant

A year ago I would have said CX hands down. However on my last visit I wasn’t blown away. The service in the restaurant was really poor and dis-organised. Food was taking forever, mains being delivered before starters cleared etc. And the choices were notably reduced. We stopped at the QF lounge after leaving CX and to be honest I wish we had spent more time there.

However with the QF lounge it depends when your JL flight is departing. If it coincides with one of the two QF fights I rate the Qantas lounge higher than the CX lounge. But note although it’s open all day they only provide the extended a la carte dining which IMHO was on par with if not a little better than CX’s F. Outside these times there’s a more limited buffet offering. Another difference I noticed at the QF lounge was how friendly the staff were. I don’t think I passed a single staff member that didn’t offer some kind of greeting. Yes, the QF lounge is a combined First/Business lounge but I guess as QF don’t offer a designated F lounge they’ve gone for a step up from the usual J lounge offering.

NorskSaint
    Participant

I would second a vote for QF. I fly at least monthly LHR-MIA from T3 and use the QF lounge every time. Always find the staff exceptionally friendly and a place to sit. As stated outside of QFโ€™s main flight times its a buffet, but have to say the standard and quality is very good, I believe the staff come from Sofitel (Correct me if Iโ€™m wrong).

There is always a well stocked bar available.

Norsk

rferguson
    Participant

Anyway jpmarcel…..the CX and QF lounges are very close to one another. If you have the time, check both out ๐Ÿ˜‰

Swissdiver
    Participant

This is where personal preferences play a role. I did not enjoy QF’s 3 months ago. I found it cold and impersonal. That said, Cathay’s might indeed be rather full. But when it is not, it is really enjoyable. And I liked the food as well.

3 users thanked author for this post.

openfly
    Participant

Def the Cathay Lounge, but also nip into the American lounge and help yourself to a large bag of self-service jelly-beans!! But AVOID the BA Dungeon lounge at all costs…..itโ€™s dark and dismal, it smells, the chillers are sooo noisy, the hot food usually has a crust on it and you might even see one of the mouse family scampering around!

Window-seat
    Participant

Any lounge but the void of dispair American Airlines call a lounge.

AlanOrton1
    Participant

It may depend on the time of day you visit, as I believe JL has a morning and an evening flight to Tokyo.

The CX F lounge is lovely, though as others have said, it is not that large. (Understandably). It is a great lounge, however, for the JL evening departure, it is likely to be busy, given CX have 4 evening departures to HKG.
    If you are flying on the morning JL departure, it should be relatively quiet and well worth a visit.
    That said, if you are limited time wise, the BA F lounge does offer a good buffet breakfast that wouldn’t take up much time v the potential longer wait with the table service CX offers.
    The last time I visited the BA F lounge early in the morning it was very quiet.

Given the above, my suggestion would be:
    JL42 – CX or if pushed for time BA F
    JL 44 – QF or if pushed for time BA F

DoorsToManual
    Participant

EASY…I’m with the majority, Cathay Pacific. When flying BA I tend to have a meal at Cathay and then cocktails and coffee with Qantas. Thus avoiding the dreadful BA or AA lounges!

2 users thanked author for this post.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls