Best luggage allowance BA or Cathay

Back to Forum
Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

• Anonymous

clubland
    Participant

I am moving to Hong Kong from London and I am trying to find out who has the best luggage allowance in Business Class? Cathay or BA?

IanFromHKG
    Participant

BA, by a country mile. CX allowance is 30kg (extra allowances if you are oneworld sapphire (15kg) or emerald (20kg)) – although there is no restriction on the number of bags. BA, on the other hand, allow you three pieces of up to 32 kg each – a whopping 96kg altogether – or four bags if you are oneworld emerald (it doesn’t appear that you get anything extra as oneworld sapphire since for “piece system” itineraries the extra bag only applies if the ordinary allowance is one piece).

clubland
    Participant

Thanks for that. I have compared the two airlines but could not believe the difference. BA it is even though the service on CX is better.

TimFitzgeraldTC
    Participant

VS also have a 3 piece baggage allowance for Upper Class, so again much more the CX. Whether they offer the onboard service you want is another question.

clubland
    Participant

Thanks for that. I somehow missed VS. Now booked on BA.

CathayLoyalist2
    Participant

Unless my maths is way out of date or I am missing something here but BA offers 3 bags x 32kg whereas Cathay offers unlimited bags max 30kg a bag. So how does BA win out on this one when CX was the preferred carrier for ‘comfort’?

TimFitzgeraldTC
    Participant

CX baggage allowance is 30KG’s in total for Business Class (not including and status extra’s). So BA gives much more allowance as does Virgin. I think most people would agree product on CX is better than BA – but if excess charges are going to be extortionate then BA may well be a suitable option.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls