Best intra-european J class seats R.I.P

Back to Forum
Viewing 16 post (of 16 total)

• Speedbird1994
    Participant

As others have mentioned, the current business class model was adopted in Europe because of the relatively short flight times in Europe, with most major routes under 2:30. (London-Paris, Lisbon, Madrid, Rome, Frankfurt, Berlin, Stockholm, Copenhagen, Nice, Milan, Warsaw, Oslo) all falling into this category. Also, because it allowed the flexibility. Think of the train companies in the UK, and how often people complain that there are three coaches of first class with no more than a dozen passengers – all because at peak times that capacity is needed. The US airlines have a strong upgrade culture, meaning that if the first/business class seats aren’t full, they upgrade passengers until they are. If European airlines, with their ‘you get what you pay for’ attitude, adopted a fixed J model, with say 12 business class seats on each flight, you would have flights in the morning business routes that were completely oversold in J, and Saturday flights to more leisure destinations that would probably be empty. Much as I would love to see proper business class seats in Europe, I don’t think it will happen anytime soon. It just doesn’t allow for flexibility.

Viewing 16 post (of 16 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls