Best First Class to Melbourne

Back to Forum
Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

• scotishtaffy
    Participant

First time posting on the forum.

I have an opportunity to travel first class to Melbourne, which would you consider the best airline.

I am a oneworld member and would like to enhance my tier points.

I have travelled JAL Domestic first class and was very impressed.

Would you consider BA, QR, QF, CX, MH or is Business Class the best option.

Scotishtaffy

BA-lineup1

AlanOrton1
    Participant

Welcome to the forum Scotishtaffy.

If OW is your preferred carrier and you are not 100% fussed about travelling F, you will likely find QR’s business class a very acceptable way to travel.

Without looking at the airline schedules, I’m not certain that QR or CX offer F all the way to MEL. If they do, I suspect you wouldn’t be disappointed with either.

I haven’t flown QF F, though I suspect many will speak highly of them.

BA no longer fly to MEL on their own metal.

There are other considerations you may want to factor in, for example do you plan a stopover, are lounges a key factor, budget etc.

Stormin
    Participant

Without a doubt QR business class is one of the best in the sky.

Also, the BA tier points that you can receive are superb – Each leg (Edi-Doh then Doh – Mel) + returns will give fab points.

It’s a no brainer because the service and product are excellent too.

Cloud-9
    Participant

QR. You will get more tiers points than on BA, CX, MH etc as DOH/MEL earns 160 instead of 140.

So LHR/MEL return is 600 TPs = BA Silver

K1ngston
    Participant

I have to agree QR is by far the best, and just an aside, steer as far away as possible from MH who knows where you’ll end up if at all!!

first_class_please
    Participant

I believe Qantas is the only Oneworld airline that can provide F all the way from UK to Melbourne. With a very good seat and service also.

LuganoPirate
    Participant

I’ve never been to Oz or flown QF, but many of my friends have.

Based on what they told me about QF’s First Class, and having experienced most of the other choices you mention, Qantas is the airline I’d choose without a second thought.

TominScotland
    Participant

Unless you are travelling before the end of March, QF is probably not an option in First unless you change in Sydney.

QF9/10 on the A380 via Dubai ends then and will be replaced by a 787 routing from Melbourne via Perth (confusingly this will also be QF9/10).

scotishtaffy
    Participant

Thank you very much for your comments much appreciated. I did think about QR Business as they fly from EDI and I’m in Glasgow, so not too far to travel

paulkaz
    Participant

I agree with the previous advice to choose QR. They now fly the A380 with First if you wish. However the flight leaves DOH at 2100 arriving at 1835 +1 so being a night flight you may not get to fully use all the First luxury. Qf will have first to Mel after March as QF 1\2 will connect in Sin to a A380 Mel -Sin flight

scotishtaffy
    Participant

Thank you paulkax

Tasclean
    Participant

CX only fly J to Aust these days – QF first is excellent, tho some say its a a bit dull. Food and service are very good, seat and bed and generous and comfortable, but overall F cabin doesn’t have the bling of Emirates (about which nobody has spoken in this thread ?)

MrDarwin
    Participant

It’s possible to fly QR F to Melbourne if departing from LHR. It’s my preferred route, and they fly the a380 all the way with good connection times in DOH both ways now. I recently flew in F on the DOH – MEL – DOH legs (qcredits spent on the way out, bumped up on the way back) and it was a great experience. Really nice White Company PJs, decent food, an enormous bathroom and a huge TV. The bed is really comfy and I slept for 9 hours each way. The flights are timed so that you’re sleeping during your natural sleeping hours, which means the looong journey passes relatively quickly.

NNoah16
    Participant

Wouldn’t a good idea be flying Quantas and choosing Emirates metal in First? I like Emirates First, specially on the A380 and to get OW points, perfect?

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls