Best exchange rates

Back to Forum
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 18 total)

• Anonymous

We are running soon a special feature in Business Traveller Asia-Pacific on where to get the best local currency exchange rates in cities that business travellers frequent, and we are gathering tips on which places offer this convenience. We’d like to hear your suggestions.

PatJordan
    Participant

Dublin: small bureau de change on the corner of O’Connell & Henry Street (beside GPO).

Its in an old travel agent’s office, not flashy but usually has good rates and low commission.

Friendly staff are very helpful too.

MartynSinclair
    Participant

always use an ATM machine, I now it may not get the most efficient rate and there are charges, but for the amounts involved, quite frankly, its far easier and far less hassle.

stevescoots
    Participant

same for me too. I use ATM’s.

DisgustedofSwieqi
    Participant

ATMs for me, too; plus a thin plastic bag in my computer case with $100, 50€ and £50, just in case.

JordanD
    Participant

If you’re in London travelling abroad, Thomas Exchange Global is my place of choice for currency transactions on personal trips. Only four branches, but all in central London (the Victoria branch always has a queue outside it, especially on Fridays) and beats the other exchange merchants, including ATMs, by a distance.

If it is for work, always head via the Post Office for any of the “core” currencies.

NTarrant
    Participant

There is a local currency exchange company that I use on very small number of occasions for currencies that I have not used before just so I have a few notes. But I last used it two years ago!

Its ATM’s for me, always the best rate, even with charges.

Recordman
    Participant

I usually get some small amounts of foreign currency in the UK in advance to pay for taxis and tips etc upon arrival, and have found that Travelex on line is quite competitive. They are very accommodating and will supply small denomination notes if requested.

Then I use ATMs locally as the rates generally can’t be beaten and even now Nationwide charges the costs are quite low provided very small amounts are not withdrawn.

watersz
    Participant

pre book online for a better rate
    then airport pick up

personally I find it useless to change euro and dollars back as i ‘ll need them again

CallMeIshmael
    Participant

BT – as several posters have pointed out here it is not just about the exchange rate as commission plays a factor as does payment medium (cash; card debit and credit; TC etc).
    Commisson free usually implies a bigger spread though can be better value for smaller amounts.
    I find airport curreny exchanges usually provide the poorest rates.

BKK-man
    Participant

In Bangkok I have 3 places to suggest which have been around for many years and are reliable.

Vasu which is on the corner of Sukhumvit 7/1

Super rich opposite Central World

And finally my favourite is Siam exchange which is opposite Au bon Pain at Siam Centre next to the AMLO building, always makes me laugh that it is next to the anti money laundering building!!!

I have used Siam ecgange for 10 years very good run by Khun Chai a very well spoken Chinese Thai.

They even deliver if the amount is big enough. Really handy when the small guy turns up in a big coat with big pockets!!!

Nice to be able to put the cash directly into your safe, especially when shops want to charge a surcharge of 3% for cc.

When I first started to use the delivery serivece it seemed a bit weird but has always worked perfectly. You can get upto half a baht or more for big notes and larger amounts from these guys so it can make a good difference..

Thailand offers rates of 10% better or more even from banks so unless you are going to bank transfer the money you save lots compared to UK and other countries travel exchange bureau.

A friend of mine was an area manager for Thomas Cook in the UK and she told me that they made more money from travel money than selling holidays !

Potakas
    Participant

ATM also for me, they give you better spread and less fees.

Tim2soza
    Participant

Consistently the best is to hold a £ and a € or $ account with Citibank London, and then transfer a decent sum at a time into each account before you travel. FX rates are exceptional. Then when you travel, phone them and have your debit card pointed to the foreign currency account where you are travelling to. It has saved me a small fortune over the years.

Tim2soza
    Participant

And the worst is excepting the ‘Would you like me to charge you on your credit card in your local currency’ – This is a very expensive convenience and to be avoided. Basically the shop chooses the rate. In a restaurant in Switzerland recently a conversion of 1 CHF =£1 was attempted when the real rate is CHF 1.8 = £1. I even hard an argument on a Sea France ferry when in French I said, “This is a Euro account, I want to be billed in Euros”, so keen was the waiter to charge me in £.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 18 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls