Best deal for a room with a view in Singapore?

Back to Forum
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 28 total)

• w8ster
    Participant

Hello!
    have sort of an overnight transit in Singapore (midnight to 15:00) and other half never been to Singapore before. Unfortunately no time to stay extra this trip and thought a good overview to wake up to will leave a good impression for future visit. Any suggestions to secure a room with a view where I wouldn’t need to pay an arm and leg for the few hours? A city /marina view would be awesome. Have Bonvoy and Hilton H but don’t want to restrict myself to it.

christ
    Participant

I had a nice view from the Conrad Hilton which is by Suntec City and loads of restaurants. The city tour also starts nearby (through shopping centre) if you had time. Equally the same applies to the JW Marriott which is the other side of the shopping mall – it also has a infinity pool with great views of the city. Failing that, the Marriott at Orchard Road is in the heart of the main shopping street and again good views and was slightly cheaper. If you have access to the lounges, I would say Conrad has the best view and followed by the Marriott. The JW is on the second floor and with no real views.

The Westin is a tall building in CBD (Asia Square) but is a bit far from things for the day and whilst I had a view, it was of the bus station.

The Sheraton and normal Hilton always looked quite cheap and I considered them but was told both were quite rundown – I am not sure of views but I think both are quite high buildings and may be ok for a night.

Sorry I don’t know re other chains as just have diamond Hilton and titanium Marriott.

1 user thanked author for this post.

w8ster
    Participant

[quote quote=928948]I had a nice view from the Conrad Hilton which is by Suntec City and loads of restaurants. The city tour also starts nearby (through shopping centre) if you had time. Equally the same applies to the JW Marriott which is the other side of the shopping mall – it also has a infinity pool with great views of the city. Failing that, the Marriott at Orchard Road is in the heart of the main shopping street and again good views and was slightly cheaper. If you have access to the lounges, I would say Conrad has the best view and followed by the Marriott. The JW is on the second floor and with no real views.

The Westin is a tall building in CBD (Asia Square) but is a bit far from things for the day and whilst I had a view, it was of the bus station.

The Sheraton and normal Hilton always looked quite cheap and I considered them but was told both were quite rundown – I am not sure of views but I think both are quite high buildings and may be ok for a night.

Sorry I don’t know re other chains as just have diamond Hilton and titanium Marriott.[/quote]

Thanks! That is very helpful. I am looking at Conrad and JW.. will check out other Marriott too.

w8ster
    Participant

[quote quote=928948]I had a nice view from the Conrad Hilton which is by Suntec City and loads of restaurants. [/quote]

Do you remember what type of room you had for that view? I have been dealing with the hotel’s reservation agent and the information provided is very patchy, sounded like a very inexperience agent. I asked 3 questions (numbered), she would answer question then I went back to ask about 2 and 3, replied with answer for 2 then again third follow up to answer question 3 (tried but not answered).

AlanOrton1
    Participant

Have stayed in both, so happy to share a couple of thoughts:

Conrad is slightly closer to the Marina, so would be an easier walk to it and around to Marina Bay Sands and the Gardens behind it. Could easily consume a couple of easy hours in the morning before you depart as well as enjoying good views.
    One side of the Conrad faces the Marina, the other does not.
    However, as a diamond you’ll get access to their lounge which is on a high floor and does offer good views which you can enjoy over breakfast etc – useful if your room does not offer knock out views.
    I think the hotel rooms either have or are due to be refurbished, last time I stayed a couple of years back they weren’t bad at all, but could do with making a little more modern.

JW is a much newer property. Again not all rooms have views. A bit further to walk to the Marina and the lounge is on a low floor, though large, has no view.
    Rooms are large and very modern.

Given your situation, I’d go for the Conrad due to location, lounge with views etc. As a top tier you stand a good chance of a room with a view.

Ahmad
    Participant

If you are looking for a guaranteed good view without breaking the bank, try the Fairmont and book a deluxe harbour view room. The hotel is within the Raffles City shopping mall so you get a good view and a chance to look at the shops and/or eat at restaurants outside the hotel itself without leaving the premises. The Swissotel is also on the same premises and has a taller building but I have never stayed there so can’t comment on which room will have the best views.

GivingupBA
    Participant

[quote quote=928944] Any suggestions to secure a room with a view where I wouldn’t need to pay an arm and leg for the few hours? A city /marina view would be awesome. [/quote]

I HIGHLY recommend the Swissotel Stamford (the place Ahmad mentioned, above) for (in my opinion) incomparable views of the harbour and marina. I always stay there, mainly for the views but the hotel’s fine too. Make sure you get a harbour view room if you stay there. I always ask them to put me on as high a floor as possible.

davensco
    Participant

I’m pretty sure the Conrad Singapore changed their lounge policy not long ago. The high floor lounge with the views is only for the use of people actually staying on club floors. There is another lounge On the 4th floor ( near the pool)for Diamond members not staying on a club floor

w8ster
    Participant

[quote quote=929010]I’m pretty sure the Conrad Singapore changed their lounge policy not long ago. The high floor lounge with the views is only for the use of people actually staying on club floors. There is another lounge On the 4th floor ( near the pool)for Diamond members not staying on a club floor[/quote]

Thanks thats good to know. will make sure I check properly with the reservation team. Getting accurate information out of the reservation agent has been challenging to say the least. leaning more toward Swissotel or Fairmont at the moment.

K1ngston
    Participant

w8ster, why not try MBS itself they can and often do deals during the week if there are no conventions in town?

Make sure you ask for a Marina or City View….

Of course the infinity pool on the top of the hotel is the most famous of them all and I am sure your wife would appreciate the views and location

Good luck!

EruditeSheep
    Participant

We have stayed at various hotels in Singapore over the years including the Conrad, Marriott Tang Plaza etc, but for incomparable views, you CANNOT better the harbour view rooms at the Swissotel Stamford. Reduced price if booked in advance. High level rooms come with executive lounge access on the 65th floor, which itself has recently been revamped to provide panoramic harbour views. Breakfasts and evening canapes/drink are excellent as is the service. We have just departed after 5 nights here on level 59. Only real shortcoming was lack of drawer space in the remodelled rooms, with contemporary decor that may not appeal to all, but these are large. Large mall on lower floors, with direct access to MRT for rapid connections to most points of interest including Changi airport. Always plenty to do in Singapore!

Squalorqueen
    Participant

We recently spent 5 nights at the Swissotel Stamford. Our 4th stay there as the views are incredible. ‘High floor harbour view’. Expensive. Possibly too expensive for such a short stay. We have stayed at the Conrad also. Very nice but the view is between buildings. Swissotel is ‘frontline’. (We were disappointed with the ‘remodelled’ rooms, but for a very short stay it wouldn’t matter at all). We also cancelled a stay at the Marriott due to downgrading of Bonvoy Gold benefits! Do visit the Gardens on the Bay. Walkable from either hotel or take the MRT from City Hall to Bayfront. They are free and fantastic. The Cloud Forest there is worth visiting if time.
    I could happily work for Singapore Tourism – we think it is a great place to stay and have done so many times. I do hope you have a really good time there. It is hot and humid though. Be prepared..

sparkyflier
    Participant

I immediately thought of the Conrad, where I have stayed, for views and location, and the Stamford, which I have not but by reputation. Conrad service was a bit patchy however and not on a par with the Intercontinental Singapore, which was superb for service and good for location, although views are not as good as places already mentioned in the posts above..

frustratedflyer
    Participant

My Favourite hotel is The Fullerton Bay but can be very expensive. Great views from the outside roof top bar overlooking MBS right on the water. The Fullerton is also nice and I stayed in a refurbished room last year which was very comfy. Will be cheaper than Fullerton Bay in a heritage property and you can walk over the road and east overlooking the water. If you also want to save money it is only 5-10 minutes walk to the Hawker Center at La Pa Sat for some local food at great prices.

christ
    Participant

At the Conrad, I booked a standard room and had a view over the marina. I stayed about 6 weeks ago and all rooms were refurbished and the lobby is beautiful. In relation to the exec lounges, there is one on the 4th by the pool and another on the top floor. The difference is that the top floor lounge is only for over 18s where as children can use the 4th floor- offerings are the same. The top floor is by far the best and some of best staff ever seen in a hotel (if you fancy, champagne, wine and beer are served for free from opening until 8pm (spirits from 5pm to 8pm but you will be vine by then). It has the usual breakfast offerings with live chef and then afternoon tea from 1430. As a diamond you can also use the main breakfast area on the ground floor- I would use the top floor exec lounge.

The Conrad feels more special than the JW.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 28 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls