Best apps for: navigating round your destination

Back to Forum
Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

• IanFromHKG
    Participant

I thought it might be helpful to have us share information about our favourite apps for particular (travel-related!) purposes. I am going to start a few – others should feel free to add more topics!

Often when we travel to a new place we need to navigate at ground level, be it by limo, taxi, bus, train or good old Shanks’s Pony. Here are a few of the apps I use (I have no affiliation with any of these other than as a user):

LIMO: Blacklane – seems to work all over the world, and reliable. Price is all-inclusive (no need to tip). The only problem we have had was when Junior Offspring was flying recently from Rennes to Southend, the flight was delayed, and details weren’t shown on the Flybe website, the Stobart Air (who operated the flight) website, or the Southend website, and the Rennes website only showed departure information! However, it all worked out – they cancelled the original booking and sent the driver on his way but substituted a new booking with no extra charge. Having said that, Blacklane are expensive

BUS/TRAIN/WALK: Google Maps, of course. However, I also like Citymapper which gives masses more information – right down to which carriage of a train to be in to be nearest to the exit!

Swissdiver
    Participant

I am an Uber user. One single account round the world. One monthly report, allowing me to pass it onto my company in one single transaction. No foreign language issue: I write in English, the drivers gets it in his own language. I can choose the level of service I want. And I can track the ride. So far, didn’t find anything better.

LuganoPirate
    Participant

I would never use UBER due to several security issues, but i do use Blacklane.
    Maps.me is also very good and probably better than google in many respects.
    Another app I use is Polaris. It runs off GPS so does not need wifi, but you have to download maps in advance. It’s also great in the air seeing where you are, speed and height etc.

What i would like is a small receiver where you can listen into the pilots especially where delays are being announced and finding out the real reasons. I saw one advertised once the size of a mobile phone and regret not buying it.

2 users thanked author for this post.

Swissdiver
    Participant

Uber is not more risky than any other minicab company. Now if my memory serves, LP, one of your relatives had a problem with an Uber driver. I guess rogue drivers exist everywhere, even in cabs. As for me, I did a massive number of rides with Uber pretty much all around the world. Never had a single serious issue!

canucklad
    Participant

Firstly, great idea Ian …
    Dependent on my plans and length of stay, I’ll do a bit of forward research and download local apps.

I have my DB app for HK ,as well as my octopus one.

For me, the old advice about asking a local applies , but with a 21st century touch.

So if anyone out there is visiting Edinburgh and intends to do a bit exploring, then prior to coming download 2 apps …. 1) Lothian Transport and 2) Scotrail.

Look at the apps you use at home and seek out their equivalent at your home away from home.

tomwjsimpson
    Participant

Agree with regards to maps.me – particularly useful is the ability to download maps for areas if you know that you will be restricted in terms of data. ‘Maps’ are updated fairly often and more often than not are accurate for opening times etc. I find it useful for locating ATM machines etc.

IanFromHKG
    Participant

[quote quote=921401]Agree with regards to maps.me – particularly useful is the ability to download maps for areas if you know that you will be restricted in terms of data. ‘Maps’ are updated fairly often and more often than not are accurate for opening times etc. I find it useful for locating ATM machines etc.[/quote]

I did think about including maps.me, but having tried to use it recently I decided against it because, put simply, it didn’t work. I was in Phuket and although it recognised my destination, it refused to recognise my starting location. Even when I put both addresses in, it refused to provide a route. Which was a blasted nuisance, as it meant turning on data roaming and using Google Maps instead.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls