Best and Worst Travel Moments – 2010

Back to Forum
Viewing 13 posts - 16 through 28 (of 28 total)

• Deleted User
    Participant

My best travel experiences of 2010 always occur when I deal with friendly and helpful people becasue I know the service will be spot on, especially where in flight service is concerned.

My worst experiences of 2010 always occur when I deal with unhelpful call centres and client/passenger facing frumps.

So the best smile of the year goes to all those wonderful cabin crew from all over the world that make my flights so comfortable (most of my flights are with BA).

The biggest moan of the year goes to the cabin crew who very occasionaly make it plainly obvious they dont want to be at work along with the frumpy staff who man the desks of the Galleries lounges at Heathrow and the arrivals lounge in T5.

Happy holidays everyone – I feel extremely blessed being able to travel as much as I do. Long may it continue and may 2011 bring continued success to us all along with peace between all who are in conflict………….thats, wives, husbands, familes, unions, airlines and contractors – goverments, and politicians.

SimonRowberry
    Participant

Worst – suffering a pax who was drunk and offensive to the Cabin Crew when his Y-class girlfriend was asked to leave the J-class cabin. Swiss, ZRH-PVG.

Best – managing to get back from DUS to BHX last Tuesday (21st Dec) on the 07.00 as planned, with no delay at all, despite the apparent worst snow in Nordrhein-Wesphalia in 30 plus years.

This year a number of us have met on several occasions, which has added to the sense of comradeship on the Forum. Friendships have been forged, and Jim Bannerman has become the expert organiser of drinking sessions – sorry, I meant exchanges of views over a beer. It was also good to meet Tom Otley and feel that our views about the magazine, the website etc are genuinely listened to.

Very best wishes to everyone, wherever you may be in the world (and also those in Bolton). May you have a safe, healthy and peaceful 2011.

Simon

PatJordan
    Participant

Hi Simon,

I am a comparatively newcomer to the Forum, but certainly appreciate the comradeship (without having met anybody yet:at least not knowingly!!).

I have had the pleasure of meeting Tom Otley at an editors lunch and as well as being a very pleasant man, is very receptive to comments about the magaine.

I have greatly enjoyed my exchanges on the Forum, and look forward to meeitng with you at some future point.

I hope you all have a happy, safe and prosperous 2011, and look forward to much future dialogue.

Pat

Tom Otley
    Keymaster

Very kind of you both – I enjoyed meeting you and hearing your opinions, as I enjoy reading the forum. I hope we will have a chance to meet again during the coming year.

Tom Otley

SimonRowberry
    Participant

I sincerely hope we will, Tom. Equally, if Jim Bannerman has anything to do with it, I KNOW we will!

Best wishes for 2011.

Simon

PS I’ve actually taken out a subscription now, Tom. And to a couple of the non-UK editions too. My conscience is now at rest!

SimonRowberry
    Participant

PS I can’t bloody read them, but at least my conscience is at rest!

PatJordan
    Participant

My goodness, Tom, that’s the fastest reply i’ve seen for ages!

Now I know for sure that Big Brother is watching….

SimonRowberry
    Participant

PPS Thanks, Pat. Wholly reciprocated (the good wishes – not the BB bit. It was a lousy TV prog anyway…).

Simon

Bunnahabhain
    Participant

Will start with my worst – surely the failed forum posters’ meeting at the end of November, having been on a high throughout the year (a bit like England 2018?). Never thought I’d say a crowded pub would turn out to be so depressing. Anyway I’ve applied the audit / CPD cycle and reflected on my rubbish performance & documented my action plan for 2011.

Close second was getting stuck on Benbecula by the ash cloud – on the one beautiful day a year they get there. An hour earlier I had been interviewed by the local press as one of 5 passengers to depart in the same number of days!! Colleagues were stuck in Malta and Hawaii – at least we were all on islands…

For best I have to return to a BA flight LHR-MAD in February during a French ATC strike, which I detailed in another thread about examples of good service. Legendary T3 misery at security, crowded departures, remote stand, delays – then the captain and cabin crew just turned it all round – ref the earlier similar post about a bmi flight – with equally impressive customer service.

Look forward to meeting the regulars and hopefully some more in the new year.

Slainte mhath

Jim

LuganoPirate
    Participant

My son recently flew to NIce with Easyjet, and booked a car through their website. Due to delays (this before the snow trouble) he was worried about the car rental desk being open but was assured they would wait till the last plane had landed.

This was not the case and he ended up having to pay € 150 to get to his destination and worse, Easyjet are not refunding him anything (not even the original car hire ) saying it’s nothing to do with them as according to their T&C’s they just act as an agent. The car rental firm in turn refers him back to Easyjet!

His best was Swiss, who, on missing his tight but legal (Y) connection through Zurich, allowed him to use the lounge for free local calls and email, fed him and gave him a voucher to use on his next flight. Well done Swiss.

M.Moose
    Participant

This year I chalked-up close to a 100 flights, mostly within Asia. Best experience, I got upgraded on almost half of those – mostly compliments of CX.

Worst flight was probably on AA (JFK-ATL) when the pilot apologized for using an old TWA plane! Transit in Chicago was just as bad. Lots of boards showing departure times, but no clocks.

Another “amazing” incident was when my bag went to SFO (when I was in TPE). Was told to wait for my bag and given a measly allowance – that probably enabled me to purchase a toothbrush and underwear. Eventually called the Country Manager directly and he gave me a 10-fold increase immediately!

Above all, it was a good year of travels and I’m home safely today writing this to wish everyone a great new year ahead!

TiredOldHack
    Participant

Worst: Getting volcano’d out, but that happened to loads.

Best: Introducing student daughters. one after t’other, to the comfort of BA Club World to Buenos Aires, revelling in their delight, and telling them: “Right, you like this? It’s down to you to earn it now.”

LindsayW
    Participant

My best was probably the operational upgrades on Qantas on my domestic trips arournd Australia last year (2010) and the excellent service in BNE Qantas Club (well, i know them well, being my home airport)

My worst experiences were probably some of my seatmates….*shudder*

Viewing 13 posts - 16 through 28 (of 28 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Business Traveller March 2024 edition
Business Traveller March 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls