Best airport in the British Isles

Back to Forum
Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

• Anonymous

acullimore
    Participant

As I am moving to the Isle of Man next month and will have to travel a lot internationally (mostly US and Europe) I would be very interested in hearing what BT subscribers think are the best airports in the British Isles. What do I mean by best……well maybe my main complaints with a lot of airports would be the following

1 Stress involved in getting to the airport
    2 infrequent or delayed flights
    3 Slow check in
    4 Complicated transfers
    5 Unhelpful staff
    6 Poor lounge facilities, or facilities in general for that matter
    etc ……..you can probably understand what I am trying to get at.
    Direct from IOM I can choose from many UK airports and or course Dublin. What would be your choice….

CrewsControl
    Participant

Based on what you say I would cancel out those airports more likely to be affected by weather delays, eg, fog, snow, storms. This can affect crews getting to the airport and then of course the flight itself getting airborne.Then there are those airports affected by traffic both on the roads and in the air. Clearly LHR is blighted by both. Then you have to consider what airports offer flights to those destinations you tend to travel. So based on the above my choices would likely be Gatwick for the USA and Birmingham for European.

Tim2soza
    Participant

As I am sure you know, IOM airport is extending it’s runway so that regional jets can get in. I would think that the number of services available will increase once this happens.

I know two IOM residents who regularly bounce out of Gatwick for connecting flights and rate it highly.

Flybe to Luton might also work for you too, and London City is also well served.

I personally use Birmingham International, which has the added benefit of being on the motorway and train networks. An under rated airport, with flights to IOM.

acullimore
    Participant

Thanks for your replys. I did not know that IOM was extending its runway, but that can only be good news. On my inbound journey I am going via Dublin, an airport I dont know at all……worth thinking about as a base for flights to EU or USA….please let me know.

CrewsControl
    Participant

The problem I find with Dublin is it’s always busy (being the only major airport in Ireland), therefore security is extremely slow. Its airside facilities, shops, bars are not very many and it’s a long hike to and from the aircraft gates.

acullimore
    Participant

Hopefully that might change late this year with the new terminal 2…..

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls