Best airline for Cape Town to Johannesburg?

Back to Forum
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)

• Anonymous

icenspice
    Participant

I have to fly between these 2 cities on either Sunday or Monday to connect with flight back to Munich. Which airline is best option?

Thank you

jazzcharley
    Participant

I’ve flown this route a number of times on BA and never had a problem, although the last time was about a year ago.

ReprievedSoul
    Participant

BA local subsidiary was fine for me in 2011. Avios OK

SimonS1
    Participant

All pretty similar and a very high frequency.

BA and SAA if you want full service, Kulula (part of BA), Mango (part of SAA) if you want low cost.

LuganoPirate
    Participant

I’d go (and do go) SAA. You can through check your bags and get your boarding pass in Cape Town fool the onward leg (I assume you’re flying LH).

The route is competitive so for perhaps R. 500 more I’d go SAA, who with BA have similar fares. It’s more comfortable and if you take the 1530 you’ll have the nice 346 to carry you.

LuganoPirate
    Participant

Just realised the flight number is also SA 346! Coincidence?

icenspice
    Participant

In the event I flew Comair yesterday from CPT to DUR via Port Elizabeth. All good except my bag being rifled en route. Boarding shortly for JNB again on Comair. Now that I can’t lock my bag they are welcome to the whole thing 😉

LuganoPirate
    Participant

If it’s not too late, get the bag wrapped before checking in.

SimonS1
    Participant

I flew CPT to Durban in November and SA Express were wrapping bags for free. Sadly bag theft is endemic.

CHRSflyer
    Participant

Was on Sunday on the 1600 BA CPT – JNB.
    Made 4 flights with BA comair last week, overall experience very good, food offering much better than short haul BA in Europe, but the planes are getting old.

LuganoPirate
    Participant

SA Express now offer a free bag wrapping service at Cape Town, Johannesburg and Durban just before checking in. I always wrap and touch wood have not had a problem.

icenspice
    Participant

This was only my second visit to South Africa and I am so glad I decided to route via Durban as I had 24 hours on the beautiful coastline north of the airport.

@CHRSflyer Comair Club bears no resemblance to Club Europe. Hot tasty food served on all 3 flights although a bit lukewarm for my liking. No puny salads here! Cabin crew were keen to please. The list could go on…from small touches such as a drink before take-off, linen tablecloth and a personal e-mail from the check-in manager at CPT when I got home. And of course the lounges at CPT and DUR.

@LuganoPirate I finally got to fly on a 346 from JNB to MUC in SAA Economy. Wow what friendly and relaxed service and the IFE system would put BA First to shame. And I love the 2-4-2 configuration.

All that was missing from my trip home was a bottle of aftershave which was a Christmas present. I have never seen the need to have my bag wrapped and don’t suppose I ever will.

LuganoPirate
    Participant

Glad you had a great trip Icenspice. I find food in South Africa in general food is often served lukewarm so no surprise that Comairs offering was on the cool side!

rodders
    Participant

icenspice
    Sadly Jo’burg seems to be a major theft airport, i too had some aftershave taken on my last trip transiting through Joburg….perhaps its a key ingredient of local moonshine!
    We have another trip coming up, so will get the bags wrapped I think!

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls