Being the only passenger on a flight

Back to Forum
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

• Bath_VIP
    Participant

Lucky lady!

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-glasgow-west-41748305

This has happened to me before twice. First time was on a Brasilia aircraft flying from Gatwick to Eindhoven and I always remember how the stewardess completely failed to give me any personal service at all.

The other time was an Aurigny Trislander from Guernsey to Dinard. No cabin crew on that flight.

I think we have had a thread on this before but would still like to hear other experiences.

Alex McWhirter
    Participant

Soon after LCY opened (in the days when the airport was not busy) I was the only passenger on the 0900 Brymon flight to Paris CDG. I mentioned the flight because, at that time, most LCY users were from mainland Europe rather than the UK.

capetonianm
    Participant

Many years ago I was the only passenger on an AZ flight NBO-JNB. All the other pax from ROM got off in NBO, leaving me in splendid isolation on a DC10 for the 4 hour sector down to JNB.

DerekVH
    Participant

Happened to me many moons ago on a BCAL 1-11 from Frankfurt to Gatwick, in those days I was able to ask to sit in the flight deck which was granted and the whole cabin was then empty bar the crew!

esselle
    Participant

Never an empty plane, but on two occasions I was the only pax in a cabin, once EK F DXB-BKK, and once EY F MEL-AUH. You didn’t notice lack of other pax as you sit in one of their cubicle spaces, but the crew found it to be quite interesting, particularly as it was a new experience for them too!

TominScotland
    Participant

Late 1990, after the Iraqi invasion of Kuwait, Kuwait Airways continued the LHR – JFK leg of their normal routing on a (I think) daily basis with a 747. I flew them both ways – booked in Economy but sat in an empty Business cabin. Probably not more than half a dozen in Economy all told on the outbound, a few more on the return.

Tom Otley
    Keymaster

We have indeed, but always room for another

Better than travelling first class…A pure stroke of luck

Tom Otley
    Keymaster

We have indeed, but always room for another

Better than travelling first class…A pure stroke of luck

I wish I’d intended that pun.

ASK1945
    Participant

Many moons ago, my wife and I flew from SFO to LHR in Coach, on a Pan-Am 747, just months before the airline went belly-up. There were just 9 of us on the whole plane (excluding the 20 or so staff) and because in those days arm rests between seats could be raised, it was our first experience of “lie-flat beds” in the air, using the economy seats in the central section, with all the arm rests up.

Also, with more than one cabin crew per traveller, the service provided wasn’t bad, either.

LuganoPirate
    Participant

Once across the Atlantic, in the 70’s, not empty metal but just 5 or 6 of us in Economy. We were all moved up to First (no Business Class then) and with the crew proceeded to party. It was quite a riotous crossing I seem to recall.

K1ngston
    Participant

I have 2 experiences, the first I was the only person in J on a flight from CDG to LHR on the European bounce to LA where I had to fly to Paris to pick up my flight to LAX via LHR, the flight was only 45 minutes or so but nice to be the only one in the cabin.

The second situation was on EK from Jakarta to Dubai where the Premium Cabins were chocker and there were 14 of us in the Y cabin suitably spread about the 777-300.

The Stewardess was extremely pleasant and realised they were going to get an easy flight and came around and asked me what I wanted to eat and gave me the choice of chicken or beef and I happily said Chicken, to which she replied that there was no more chicken!!!

This annoyed me and I asked why she bothered to give me a choice and I told her so… The day was saved by the CSD who was clever, and offered me his Chicken meal which I didnt accept I was only making a point and the flight was peaceful and extremely comfortable ……

cwoodward
    Participant

A rather long time ago in the mid-seventies as I recall I was the only passenger on a Qantas 747 100 from SYD to HKG.

I had status with QF in those days and the day prior to the flight they called me and advised me of a change in flight number and seat to 1A. An unheard of upgrade as I would have been booked in economy (pre business class days). The flight was ether on a Christmas eve or New Years Eve, probably the later. For some reason Qantas flew 2 aircraft that day to HKG probably due to some technical problem in HKG with another aircraft as my plane was carrying a fifth engine and a full flight and cabin crew. This was a business trip and as I was flying on to London after a couple of days in Hong Kong and I never did have time to find out the full story.

Needless to say I had a marvelous time in 1A and woke the following morning(or perhaps afternoon) in the old Repulse Bay Hotel with a rather acute hangover.

transtraxman
    Participant

I remember having to fly from Madrid to Zurich during the First Gulf War.

The first problem was the lack of passengers who had been scared off by the war. We were about six or seven passengers on a B727. The service was good and I enjoyed it tremendously.

The second problem (causing big delays) was the flight plan which had to adapt to the continual landings and take-offs from the US Air base at Torrejon de Ardoz. The runway at Torrejon lies directly East-West which conflicts directly with Madrid Barajas whose runways lie North West-South East. The more northerly runways of Barajas had not been built at that time. Thus tremendous delays thanks to the Yanks.

capetonianm
    Participant

I lived in Madrid during the Gulf War and used to fly in and out of Barajas a couple of times a week, and well remember the disruption caused by the proximity of Torrejon.

I was once the only F class passenger on an IB (340 I think) down to SAO, I got excellent service from the cabin crew, something of a change as normally IB service is dire.

FDOS_UK
    Participant

One experience only, on a light aircraft conducting a scheduled flight, where I knew the pilot and he would invite me to sit in the RHS.

As it happened, the auto pilot was un-serviceable and at about 8,500 feet, the pilot asked me to steer a course for 150 miles, did a good deal of paperwork, then took control, descended and landed off a straight in approach.

I didn’t even get to log the time: -)

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Business Traveller March 2024 edition
Business Traveller March 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls