Being Angry Together

Back to Forum
Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 40 total)

• handbag
    Participant

Tom Otley

Firstly want to say you guys do a great job.

The reason I like “Being Angry Together” is that although It would still stay on the internet, we would not have to even look at this thread (if we don’t want to), as we know it will be the usual suspects going off track. The actual posts could then be read with useful content and not having to read through all the rubbish to get to it.

2 users thanked author for this post.

FDOS_UK
    Participant

[quote quote=876502]Unfortunately when there is strife it’s common to see a common theme of predictable names who are involved.

But as always we can ignore, or as I do which is not to post or not respond to particular posters. My belief being that if my initial post is accurate and non combative, then subsequent postings directed towards my post may not be relevant. Other forum members can judge for themselves if the subsequent post or questioning is relevant or not, giving the opportunity to make their own opinions of others posters.[/quote]

Henry

Despite your apparent belief otherwise, I would include you as a ‘predictable’ name when there is strife – I realise that this may come of something of a surprise, to you and you probably do not see yourself that way.

The reality is that we all have our perspectives/beliefs and are all in the same system (BT Forum) and if that system gets irritated, it results in hot air.

e.g. I may make a post that I consider factual, someone else considers it biased, someone else comments and yet another person then accuses them of being pompous and so it goes.

What I would say is that this forum is generally much better behaved that comparators, e.. Flyertalk, where the treatment of some posters defies belief – in particular, some of the the pseudolaw arguments are utterly mindless and hostile.

Overall, I agree with Martyn that the BT forum is a great place.

Ahmad
    Participant

[quote quote=876525]The actual posts could then be read with useful content and not having to read through all the rubbish to get to it.[/quote]

Thank you for saying exactly what I feel. When the suggestion for this thread was made in the Paris hotels one, I made similar comments there which are now deleted. I can’t say anything about others on the forum but my reason for participating here is to receive/contribute first-hand information on purely travel related matters. For anything else, I would much rather discuss things face to face. If the main threads remain uncluttered it would be less time-consuming and far more enjoyable. As others have said, those who are interested in the livelier debates will have a chance to show their mettle or take the popcorn out and enjoy the spectacle, whichever side of the fence they happen to be.

christopheL
    Participant

@ Tom Otley
    “I can, but it’s just a huge argument about racism, its definition, who is, who isn’t, and then descends into name-calling… not very instructive for anyone.
    The vast majority of people who use the forum but rarely or never post because of the general climate won’t need any reminding of how bad it can get.”

I appreciate what you say but I’m afraid anyone who will now have a look at the “Beware of hotel thieves at Paris hôtels” topic after you have deleted most of the posts will be worried about MartynSinclair mental health as his post now looks totally irrelevant.

As you pointed out in another post, “The internet seems to be encouraging this sort of behaviour, or perhaps just publicising it” and I’m afraid there is nothing you can do to prevent this but having a very strict policy and enforcing it on a daily basis by deleting posts who are not complying with such policy.

However I’m afraid you won’t put an end to inappropriate posts by simply deleting them so that other readers can’t read them.

MartynSinclair’s brilliant idea to create a “Being Angry Together” post gives anyone the opportunity to namely and easily notify fellow posters (including myself if needed) that one of their post is really inapropriate without contaminating the main subject of the topic with endless controversies.

Charles-P
    Participant

Arguing with anonymous strangers on the Internet – what a time to be alive.

SimonS1
    Participant

[quote quote=876525]The reason I like “Being Angry Together” is that although It would still stay on the internet, we would not have to even look at this thread (if we don’t want to), as we know it will be the usual suspects going off track. The actual posts could then be read with useful content and not having to read through all the rubbish to get to it.[/quote]

Glad to see you have a sense of humour.

Or do you really think people will come running over to this thread every time they need to vent or disagree.

Come on. It won’t make a blind bit of difference.

FDOS_UK
    Participant

Arguing with anonymous strangers on the Internet – what a time to be alive.

Very droll…..

1 user thanked author for this post.

capetonianm
    Participant

Or do you really think people will come running over to this thread every time they need to vent or disagree.
    Come on. It won’t make a blind bit of difference.

Of course it won’t work. If people want to have a discussion they will want it to be in the context of the relevant thread.
    It’s rather like saying to two blokes who are squaring up to each other for a brawl in a pub :
    “I say chaps, won’t you resume this at the Pig and Whistle next Thursday evening after Question Time.”

FaroFlyer
    Participant

[quote quote=876404]As suggested by MartynSinclair I am adding a new topic dedicated to people who make no difference between a business traveller forum and a political meeting and need a place to curse those who disagree with them.

When a post on any topic makes you feeling angry, just answer “please refer to the Being Angry Together Topic” (or PRBATT), then click on this topic and make your speech ![/quote]

Not sure it would work, but worth a try. Rather than Being Angry Together Topic I suggest Angry Together Topic then we can just type PRATT

canucklad
    Participant

I’m going to test out something here ………

And rather than post it on the Paris site, I’m going to post it here just to find out if ( IMO) my factually accurate post would be reported for inappropriate behaviour…….

I’m thick skinned , so please respond with why or why you’ve not thought about reporting it for being inappropriate ……rather than actually reporting it.
    This will hopefully give us all an opportunity to understand each other viewpoint and be a bit more empathetic to each other’s beliefs etc…..so here goes…..

My experience of Paris is varied , from being pickpocket on the metro, having my belongings rummaged through on the overnight TGV from Paris to Nice and being called a homosexual infidel and then spat on ( I was wearing a kilt) and finally having my room broken into and money stolen from my hotel room.
    I’ve also had some fantastic moments, memorably welcomed into a Vietnamese ex foreign legionnaires pub like a long lost member of the family. Add in dancing with the local gendarmerie ( Coupe de monde) outside the Moulin Rouge amongst other great memories interacting with local Parisians .

My advice is to avoid booking hotels in the near vicinity of any of the mainline train stations. In my particular example, the station is the “ Gare du Nord” and the hotel was the Ibis.
    Even during the day, you’re harassed by gangs of beggars, followed by aggressive vendors that make the Costa lookie lookie men like Harrods doormen and finally dodgy looking characters that hang about the corners with a menace , normally with their lady friends lurking close by in the shadows.

When night fell my white pale skin acted like a lightbulb to the moths described above. I clearly didn’t appear to be a local, something I could have got away with during the daytime.

So my advice be weary of your surroundings, especially in “certain” areas of Paris, and don’t take for granted that your hotel will be safe, I stayed at a well-known chain hotel, adjacent to the station., whose staff adopted a very laissez fare attitude to the threat.

Finally, the favoured item to pinch is your passport, sp take the appropriate measures….

My factual account of Paris !!

MartynSinclair
    Participant

@canucklad – I apologize in advance to you and the Forum, but you have this knack of ‘encouragement’…

I think your Paris review is way too bland to be considered inappropriate…. add a bit of colour, a bit of spice, some religion and don’t forget some politics, then it becomes inappropriate…..

..and that my friends really is the point, a post can be made factually in a negative and critical format, without it being considered as inappropriate…

Also Canucklad, please bring back the Friday fun posts you used to create…I think we all need some more humour….

1 user thanked author for this post.

Ahmad
    Participant

Despite going through your post with a fine tooth comb, I am unable to see anything inappropriate in your post. But then I am not easily offended or trigger happy with the report button. This is exactly the kind of material I turn to the Forum for. I suspect even the most easily offended (and I am thinking of a certain nationality) would find it hard to justify reporting your post.

With regard to Paris and passports, I would like to report that unbeknown to me, I dropped my passport when leaving a car park lift at CDG on my way to pick up a car from Avis. When I was halfway to the Avis lot two men (clearly of middle eastern origin) accosted me by calling out from behind. Naturally, I was apprehensive and for a second thought about making a dash for the Avis lot which was about a 50 meters away. My fear was totally misplaced because as it happened they had come from the direction of the lift and saw my passport falling out of my pocket. You should have seen the look on my face when they handed me my passport!

Now let’s see if I get reported!!

christopheL
    Participant

There is indeed nothing inappropriate in pointing out that the gare du Nord area is not very safe.
    Averybody (at least in Paris) knows that Gare du Nord is one of if not the worst Paris train station in this regard. However this is less true since the 2015 terrorist attacks has a lot of soldiers and policemen are know patrolling around especially in train and tube stations, tourist areas and popular and/or trendy places.

capetonianm
    Participant

Let me try to understand. It’s acceptable to point out that the area around the Gare de Nord is unsafe (and some of the side streets around Gare de Lyon are a bit daunting too), but apparently it’s not acceptable to point out that this is due to uncontrolled illegal immigration and Mrs. Merkel’s madness.

Will someone please explain the logic here.

esselle
    Participant

Except that the areas you highlight outside these two Paris stations have always felt a bit dodgy after dark; it@s not new I’m afraid. It was as bad, if not worse, in the 80’s.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 40 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls