Being Angry Together

Back to Forum
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 40 total)

• christopheL
    Participant

As suggested by MartynSinclair I am adding a new topic dedicated to people who make no difference between a business traveller forum and a political meeting and need a place to curse those who disagree with them.

When a post on any topic makes you feeling angry, just answer “please refer to the Being Angry Together Topic” (or PRBATT), then click on this topic and make your speech !

2 users thanked author for this post.

Ahmad
    Participant

Thank you Martyn for the wonderful suggestion and Christophe for starting the thread. Let’s hope the other threads will now be clutter free and remain on topic.

Can admin please intervene and transfer posts to this thread when folk go on the warpath?

1 user thanked author for this post.

Tom Otley
    Keymaster

I can’t transfer individual posts, I’m afraid, or even groups of posts (when people just start arguing with one another).

capetonianm
    Participant

Is this the 5 minute argument or the 10 minute argument?

stevescoots
    Participant

Nice idea but this is the internet and rules can never be applied like that unless you have a full time admin 24/7. Just this week i have quit 2 so call professional forums and about 8 we chat groups because of all the issues raised here, people being offended on the slightest thing, people being deliberately offensive for the sake of it, copy paste jockeys and spammers. I gave up on linked in groups 3 years ago for exactly these issues.

Tom Otley
    Keymaster

Sad isn’t it?

The internet seems to be encouraging this sort of behaviour, or perhaps just publicising it.

I read the Financial Times online every morning, and the comments section (which is moderated) is very similar. It’s worth reading for a couple of the posts made by readers, but in general it’s just a rant-athon about Brexit, foreigners, standards, poor political leadership etc…

Rather like being stuck in a golf club bar in the 1980s…

6 users thanked author for this post.

Ahmad
    Participant

How very droll @capetonianm. Looks like this topic is not going to work and many posters will continue to think twice before contributing…

Tom, I fully agree with you. Having said that, the BT forum still remains largely free from mass-scale abuse with threads mostly remaining on topic. Let’s hope it will remain the primary port of call for first-hand travel info/advice for myself and many others.

Charles-P
    Participant

[quote quote=876480]Rather like being stuck in a golf club bar in the 1980s…[/quote]

Best description of most social media I have ever seen.

2 users thanked author for this post.

Ahmad
    Participant

I just noticed that all the posts relating to the subject matter of this topic (and more) have been deleted from the “Beware of hotel thieves at Paris hotels” thread. Many forum participants who were not privy to the discussion about angry behaviour and consequent starting of this thread may not appreciate the reasons for this rather odd thread. It may not be a bad idea to reinstate the deleted posts … I wonder what others think?

Tom Otley
    Keymaster

I can, but it’s just a huge argument about racism, its definition, who is, who isn’t, and then descends into name-calling… not very instructive for anyone.

The vast majority of people who use the forum but rarely or never post because of the general climate won’t need any reminding of how bad it can get.

Ahmad
    Participant

How about just reinstating Martyn’s post onwards? This will give some context to way the discussion went and might get participants thinking/suggesting other ways to clean things up a bit.

Henryp1
    Participant

Unfortunately when there is strife it’s common to see a common theme of predictable names who are involved.

But as always we can ignore, or as I do which is not to post or not respond to particular posters. My belief being that if my initial post is accurate and non combative, then subsequent postings directed towards my post may not be relevant. Other forum members can judge for themselves if the subsequent post or questioning is relevant or not, giving the opportunity to make their own opinions of others posters.

MartynSinclair
    Participant

What I was hoping with this thread was when posters felt the urge to Get Angry with another poster – they direct themselves to this thread, perhaps via a noticeable link icon and let them bash each other, out of view of the main thread. Everyone knows when a new post has been made and can then choose whether to view or ignore the bashing….

I like most people like banter/discussion/leg pulling, but some of the accusations, comments and a certain ‘historical quote’ that someone pointed out to me recently, have no home on this wonderful Forum.

Tom Otley
    Keymaster

It’s a good idea – when people get too cross they do a version of “Let’s take it outside” and move across to that other thread.

But then, the thing about the internet is the argument is still there in black and white for everyone to see for all time and I’m not sure what benefit that is to anyone.

canucklad
    Participant

Thanks for starting the thread ChristopheL,
    Thanks also for the Monty Python sketch capetonianm …..Abuse, argument and contradiction – brilliant

I’d like to think that , rather than being angry together, a better more adult approach would be ….” Being passionate together”

Seems to me that those of us who are easily offended tend to inflame those who set out to invoke a response ……..and then the downward spiral into childish name calling inevitably happens.
    I actually find some responses quite humorous and as long as it doesn’t digress to far from the main topic point can actually contain some gems of wisdom, because people are responding with passion.

As I said in my Paris post before it was deleted ….The reasons why Paris make me feel more unsafe than any other city, and as a result not a destination I would recommend is based on my personal experiences and prejudices built in thereafter.

In summary, debate is what is missing in the hilarious sketch, hilarious because it proves that needless argument, abuse and contradiction is pointless.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 40 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Business Traveller March 2024 edition
Business Traveller March 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls