Be prepared for higher departure taxes at Germany's airports

Back to Forum
Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

• AMcWhirter
    Participant

Yet to be fully confirmed but I am sure it will go ahead. Start date not yet announced.

Germany to hike air departure taxes

TimFitzgeraldTC
    Participant

Excellent news. At least with this plan we can see that it is directly linked to the cut in rail VAT from 19 to 7% in Germany so a sensible move.

If only our own APD was being directly re-invested in Green projects / schemes / subsidies – it would make the high levels we have much more palatable.

1 user thanked author for this post.

AMcWhirter
    Participant

One thing I have noted today is that UK rail fans (who may not know about the planned lowering of VAT on rail fares in Germany) are happily booking DB rail tickets months ahead not realising that the fares will soon fall.

I also believe that DB *may* not impose its usual annual fares rise in 2020 but that is subject to confirmation.

Yes it is true that some of these fares will be of the bargain variety (so the savings will not be great) but nevertheless …

The future VAT savings on DB fares ought to extend to international journeys where DB forms part of the international route.

That is the situation right now where a traveller taking the train from Berlin to Brussels is only liable for Germany’s VAT for the sector between Berlin and the German border at Aachen.

capetonianm
    Participant

I am afraid I am cynical. I am a great supporter of rail travel for several reasons, and use trains whenever possible, even if it’s more expensive (within limits) than flying, but I am not convinced that even a reduction in the price of rail and an increase in the price of air will get more than a small minority to switch.

It is a step in the right direction, but sadly only a small one.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls