BD to rise again

Back to Forum
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 20 total)

• Anonymous

LPPSKrisflyer
    Participant

A colleague has just put forward an idea posted on Flyertalk and although I think it’s doubtful it could happen, it’s interesting.

As we know BD Regional is maintaining the name, website and BD code. The twelve slots for LHR-EDI & ABZ are up for grabs, what is to stop Regional bidding for them?

They could begin in a small way with a competative price and better offering than the birdseed the competition offers, oh and of course a full bar service. The upgraded offering could be called something distinctive that sets it apart, Diamond Service springs to mind as something suitable.

Once established, they could go after more slots and perhaps some A319s and expand the offering to other places. They could also join the Star Alliance in due course.

It has all happened before, it could all happen again….

Not likely I agree.

PatJordan
    Participant

A nice thought indeed, LPPS. Maybe the Diamond service might return?

Is there sufficient interest in a high quality regional UK airline, though? If that model works for BA on LCY-JFK, it might just be possible.

Pat

Swindoneric
    Participant

The more I think about it the more that I start to believe this could actually work. Scots business travellers would support a Scottish airline on these routes and interlining with Virgin would provide leisure passengers. That said, there are some good deals on BA at the moment – just booked a peak time day return EDI-LHR for next week for £130.

canucklad
    Participant

IAG have completed their coup de gras………….

BA will use bullying tactics to remove any potential domestic competition into LHR….

Domestically BA have in the future placed themselves as the only “convienant choice” via T5 for domestic interlining passengers

Behind the scenes i predict it will become less and less likely to get competitive fares booking through the likes of Opodo from the regional airports onto non One World airlines !

Thank you for your post canucklad. What you say is quite true.

In fact, as I wrote last year, as soon as Bmi quit the Glasgow-Heathrow route last year, the interline fares for Glaswegians connecting at Heathrow to non Oneworld carriers did increase.

http://www.businesstraveller.com/news/glaswegians-pay-more-to-interline

Alex McWhirter

skyguy79
    Participant

Glasgow should be British Midland Regional’s new base. Looking at the long support that Scottish passengers have shown BD and the fact that BD was unofficially Scotland’s national carrier and GLA-LHR was the first domestic route, go for it BD !!!! You have plenty of people to support you ! I am one of those ! Maybe a tartan inspired uniform blended with the best bits of British Midland ?

LPPSKrisflyer
    Participant

No need for tartan, just go back to the red and grey diamonds!

Bullfrog
    Participant

“Bring back Sir Michael Bishop”.

PatJordan
    Participant

Sir Michael certainly has a proven track record in running a successful airline.

But would he be tempted to have a go at rebuilding the brand which he elevated to untold levels of excellence in the past?

Pat

LPPSKrisflyer
    Participant

Doesn’t he have something to do with the group who have bought regional?

While he raised BD to great heights, he also presided over its decline and grew very rich on the back of it all.

sparkyflier
    Participant

I think he is Lord Bishop now. I think the decline started once he had more or less retired and had less day to day control.

canucklad
    Participant

The 12 EDI /ABZ slots are up for grabs……As i mentioned in another thread there aint no way BA is going to sell to an airline that is going to challenge their now monopoly on that route!

Unfortunately the Scots are going to just have to get use to paying more to fly to LHR !

Shearer
    Participant

Given that Loganair are involved in the consortium who bought bmi regional, I can see “Flight BE xxxx, operated by bmi regional” being more likely.
    bmi regional keeps the name, with the hassle of marketing and advertising falling on FlyBe.

FlyBe gets some flights to Denmark which will strengthen it’s Nordic connections, and BA, as a shareholder in FlyBe wins too…

AnthonyDunn
    Participant

For those contributors north of the border, why not go the whole hog and bring back British Caledonian? BCal, as was, had a fine reputation (or have I just put my head in a noose with that remark?) and had an extremely distinctive identity that was sadly lost after the company was taken over by BA.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 20 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls