BA's Waterside HQ faces demolition if LHR's third runway goes ahead

Back to Forum
Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

• AMcWhirter
    Participant

Waterside was opened in 1998. Construction cost was £200 million.

Now BA’s HQ faces demolition because, according to this report in The Guardian, it lies in the path of LHR’s proposed new runway.

https://www.theguardian.com/travel/2016/nov/22/ba-boss-shocked-to-find-out-that-third-heathrow-runway-will-raze-his-hq?CMP=share_btn_tw

mkcol74
    Participant

Mr Walsh appears, at best, naive to have not realised that Waterworld was likely to be razed.
    It was patently obvious to me when the successful option was first mooted that it would have to make way.

openfly
    Participant

BA won’t need a headquarters if Snr Alex Cruz carries on with the self-destruction!!

To save money he will move headquarters to India along with the rest of the jobs that he has moved.

Edski777
    Participant

I’m quite sure that BA will receive ample compensation when Waterworld needs to be leveled. In line with the recent Nissan deal I would not even be surprised if the compensation would be higher than the actual cost. Within the EU they would call that “state subsidy”, after the Brexit it will probably be called something like “industry policy”.
    My guess the shock reaction by WW is nothing more than an act in squeezing more money out of the government and therefor the taxpayer.

But don’t get me wrong: I would do the same if the opportunity arises.

FDOS_UK
    Participant

Can we have a whip around to fund Willie and the Cruzifier being in Waterside, when it is demolished? 😉

icenspice
    Participant

I suspect by the time it is built, both will have moved on ?

AnthonyDunn
    Participant

FDOS_UK

After posting on the FT.com website inviting bids to a charity for the right to drive the bulldozer over Boris “Wiff-Waff” Johnson, our national disgrace of a Foreign Secretary, I was genuinely amazed at just what level of antipathy there is towards him. Perhaps if we chuck in Wee Willy and Cruz as a “3-4-1” offer, there is the scope for a complete win, win, win, win possibility here.

FDOS_UK
    Participant

[quote quote=775702]FDOS_UK

After posting on the FT.com website inviting bids to a charity for the right to drive the bulldozer over Boris “Wiff-Waff” Johnson, our national disgrace of a Foreign Secretary, I was genuinely amazed at just what level of antipathy there is towards him. Perhaps if we chuck in Wee Willy and Cruz as a “3-4-1” offer, there is the scope for a complete win, win, win, win possibility here.

[/quote]

Sounds like a plan.

Tinp0tTaipan
    Participant

The building was always a white elephant that BA tried and failed to sell to its pension fund. However the 3rd runway will make it all come good, once it gets CPOed.

JohnHarper
    Participant

It seems unbelievable that in all the discussion about the third runway Wee Willie didn’t realise that Waterside was in its path.

Still, the demolition is a great opportunity to cut costs. I’m sure the BA HQ doesn’t need to be anywhere near LHR these days with the excellent possiblities of electronic working. I read recently of some bargain office units on the outskirts of Lucknow, surely they would be ideal and just think of the savings. The whole of IAG could move there without delay.

Stowage222
    Participant

John, there was a rumour going around BA that the Cruzifier (love that BTW FDOS) was going to kick all the staff out of Waterworld anyway and relocate them to TBC to be beside the engineers and the BA Flight Academy. Nothing concrete at this stage mind.

openfly
    Participant

@JohnHarper
    Great idea. And to save a lot more money the Mayor of Lucknow could become BA CEO instead of Snr Cruz on a salary of £1000 a year….a great saving! BA shareholders take notice….head office to be named Curryworld….

nevereconomy
    Participant

If they keep up their “enhancement ” program, they won’t be needing it anyway.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls