BA’s strike & JAL bankruptcy

Back to Forum
Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

• Anonymous

Bullfrog
    Participant

The Union’s intention to strike, possibly over Easter is a suicidal move.

It’s clear that this ‘suicide’ wish will push BA to follow JAL into eventual bankruptcy. The business needs a ‘cost overhaul’ and being held to ransom by the striking staff is ludicrous.

I’m not a member of BA management. Just a member of the travelling public

Ardmarnoch
    Participant

As a regular BA traveller and a BA shareholder, the Union’s position does seem out of date and foolish.
    However, I believe a bigger threat to BA is its premium cabin pricing policy. It may have worked years ago, but it is now also out of date and foolish. Why? Yes it is a premium carrier and can charge a premium – but with the quality of the competition today, it seems to think the premium can be substantial – very out of date. Now they will tell you that premium fares have to be HUGE as they offer LARGE discounts to corporates to attract their custom. In today’s air travel market this view is both out of date and foolish. The low cost carriers have shown to grow, be profitable and succeed, you need to price your product competitively to the whole market. Doing so has been shown to grow custom, loyalty and profits. Surpised Willie Walsh has forgotten what he learnt at Aer Lingus… except charging for seat pre-allocation….. As a shareholder, and a traveller, I would ask all of BA to wake up, see the market as it is today, ditch your antiquated yield managment systems and play in the real market – please.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls